GPS issue with new Viofo A139 Pro

zontarh

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I purchased a production A139 Pro in November but have only just found the time to install it in the last few days. Has anybody else had problems with the GPS? When I first tested the camera it seemed to get a lock but even then the speed was totally incorrect (well below the actual speed by some 30 - 40mph).

During the final test the speed started to decrease to zero then GPS went off altogether. I have two GPS mounts, one mounted in the vehicle and another spare which I haven’t fitted in my other car yet. I haven’t been able to get GPS with either mount since so I can only assume there is a problem with the camera? Any ideas? Tried resetting camera to default but still no GPS. Tried upgrade to latest firmware but it still shows as previous firmware and I didn’t notice any delay in boot up period to suggest any upgrade actually took place. Took a drive out to a different location and still no GPS. Don’t know what else to try apart from reach out to Viofo after their holiday period.

I found the problem! It was the positioning of GPS module causing the issue. My initial test mounting on the rear view mirror cover allowed for the GPS to connect but must not have been so strong through the plastic. I’ve now mounted it on the screen itself which has resolved the issue. Downside now is the camera is not nearly as discrete but better to have mph data than none at all.
Still not able to upgrade to latest firmware though?

I found the problem! It was the positioning of GPS module causing the issue. My initial test mounting on the rear view mirror cover allowed for the GPS to connect but must not have been so strong through the plastic. I’ve now mounted it on the screen itself which has resolved the issue. Downside now is the camera is not nearly as discrete but better to have mph data than none at all.
Yes, the GPS base needs a clear view of the sky to work at its best.

Still not able to upgrade to latest firmware though?
Have you tried formatting the card to FAT32 before copying the bin file to the card?

Hey Tony, thanks for your reply. I can confirm the GPS is now working spot on in its new position on the windscreen!

I formatted the card in the camera itself as my computer only offers exFAT formatting rather than FAT32. I’ll dig out my old laptop and try formatting it on there to see if it makes any difference

Hi Tony,

Mine is mounted like this, on the perforated defroster elements. The element is within the glass. I checked some footage and it's probably reading 'high' by a few mph. Is this within standard deviation or is it supposed to be ultra accurate? I figured mounting it like this is not only more discrete but also helps reduce direct light exposure to the entire camera.

20210107_141938-jpg.159699

Looks like others do it without issue. Maybe I will check speeds again today and verify.

CpfcVSY.jpg

Last edited:
See how the speed compares with your phone’s GPS navigation speedometer. Your vehicle’s speedometer is unlikely to be as accurate as there is an allowed tolerance. My camera’s GPS speed is identical to my phone’s GPS speed whereas my vehicle’s speedometer is showing faster by a couple of mph

Thanks for the pro-tip.

Have you tried formatting the card to FAT32 before copying the bin file to the card?

I've worked out what I was doing wrong and have now managed to upgrade to the latest firmware!

My camera is powered from a Cellink Neo 8 Plus and I was using the automatic ignition on to turn the camera on to upgrade the firmware. What I should've done is power off the camera using the on/off button, then use that button to long press the power on instead of the ignition which just starts a normal boot up. Hope this helps others who may come across the same problem.

Back