GPS no longer GPSing

spotnz

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
hi,

My Panorama II's GPS unit appears to have died. The firmware was upgraded to GLG300_V1_12_06_20140421_18Mbps_Intl
( as shown on http://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/v1-12-06-12-15-18mbps-for-panorama-2-panorama-s.5398/ ) on sunday. On monday it's data was appearing in the videos. But by Wednesday the info had vanished. NO changes were made to either the Panorama II, GPS or car since it's last operation on monday & death on wednesday.

And yes the plug looks to be in properly. Due both the unit's blue light working & my being unable to push the plug any further into the unit.

Does anyone know the best and/or easiest solution?

thanks
david

hi,

My Panorama II's GPS unit appears to have died. The firmware was upgraded to GLG300_V1_12_06_20140421_18Mbps_Intl
( as shown on http://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/v1-12-06-12-15-18mbps-for-panorama-2-panorama-s.5398/ ) on sunday. On monday it's data was appearing in the videos. But by Wednesday the info had vanished. NO changes were made to either the Panorama II, GPS or car since it's last operation on monday & death on wednesday.

And yes the plug looks to be in properly. Due both the unit's blue light working & my being unable to push the plug any further into the unit.

Does anyone know the best and/or easiest solution?

thanks
david

When gps plug inserted into gps socket, does blue led on gps module is solid or blinking and does gps icon on lcd display appears?

sorry I don't recall if the blue light was blinking, I didn't think to look. I'll do that tomorrow.

There was an orange symbol on the bottom left of the screen. Looking like a giant satellite dish. I'm not sure what the GPS icon is, when the unit is working properly, as I haven't looked for it & cannot see it in the manual.

david

sorry I don't recall if the blue light was blinking, I didn't think to look. I'll do that tomorrow.

There was an orange symbol on the bottom left of the screen. Looking like a giant satellite dish. I'm not sure what the GPS icon is, when the unit is working properly, as I haven't looked for it & cannot see it in the manual.

david

Sattelite symbol means unit recognizes gps antenna and if you see on gps module solid blue led, then gps module more likely works, but if sattellite icon on lcd is orange, it means no gps signal. If satellite symbol is green and gps module blue led is blinking, then gps is locked to satellites and works well.

Last edited:
the GPS unit light is a solid blue.

I took this photo after a 20 minute run. Sorry for the poor photo. Is it good enough?

P1100202small.jpg

david

I'm running the new firmware with GPS, works fine.

this afternoon I tried something a little different, in the hope that it made a difference.

After turning the unit on, I let it settle down for 30 or so seconds. And completely removed the GPS plug from it's hole & replaced it. This seems to have caused it to work properly, again. *Fingerscrossed* that this continues.

Mind you the video isn't all that good now, in the shade. So I'm hoping that the ( el cheapo ) CPL is the cause of that. I'm wondering if the strength of the CPL is greater than or significantly different to what is required. Hopefully another CPL filter will be a better match. I got a few to try . . .

david

UPDATE

I think it's started working more or less properly.
The major part of the cure, was to improve the formatting of the card I stored the FW on. I use Mac OS10.9 . The first time I formatted the card using the standard mac formatter. Since then I've re-installed exactly the same FW update code I downloaded. BUT this time I formatted the card ( same one ) using SDFormatter.app . Which since then, has producing normal results. Until this morning, when after two 5 minute trips to the supermarket & back, only gave me one movie. And that had no picture! I tried again later this afternoon & the movies were back to normal.

*fingerscrossed* that tomorrow's effort, with several trips planned, will be normal.

update #2

as of approx 18 jun, the gps stopped working. On 20 jun I updated the FW toGLG300_V1_12_06_20140421_15Mbps_Intl, without any obvious difference. And last wed ( 25 jun ) it started working again.

the brightness is still an unresolved problem. As it doesn't appear to be FW related. Or possibly even caused by the Panorama II, as I have the same problem with my rearward facing 680 dashcam. My random observations of the brightness, have led me to believe that it appears have got worse as the sun got lower in the sky, as the winter solstice approached. This was over a week ago now, so hopefully the situation will improve over the coming months.

update #2b

I noticed, yesterday. That the GPS blue light flashing is of shorter duration, than prior to 18 jun.

For The Record
this is a movie taken back in march, showing the local brightness. NB The time shown, is an hour earlier than it actually was. Due to my not having set the correct tome zone, to allow for NZ Daylight Saving.

PS a 49mm CPl was fitted

As you know, my gps module does not work. Worked only the first day. On the second day of the module does not catch the signal. Blue LED lights up continuously. Firmware update Panorama not solved the problem. Shipkorea offers send module to him for diagnosis. Does this make sense? Is it possible to replace it a similar gps module (ts-615brs)?

As you know, my gps module does not work. Worked only the first day. On the second day of the module does not catch the signal. Blue LED lights up continuously. Firmware update Panorama not solved the problem. Shipkorea offers send module to him for diagnosis. Does this make sense? Is it possible to replace it a similar gps module (ts-615brs)?

I think that you will find that any GPS unit is unique to each different dashcam. Although some from the same manufacturer may be compatible.

This is universal modules working standard protocol NMEA-0183.
Developed by third-party manufacturers and are used in various devices. What is your gps module? I have SGM-2528, I met with panorama SGM-1328 http://roadcam.ecrater.com/p/20173306/roadcam-rcpano2sgps-gps-logger-sgm-1328-for. Your GPS still did not work? The module has a battery, maybe to turn off the power to reset?

I stand corrected. Thanks.

switching on & off didn't help mine, when it was on strike.

I would not want to break the module. Now I decide the question of returning "shipkorea" module, if it makes sense.
The block diagram of the module gps battery available. It is responsible for a warm start.
Tell me, please, what model your gps module?

Attachments

• IMG_5126_1.jpg
    IMG_5126_1.jpg
    231.7 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Back