GPS not finding sats

alferret

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Brought an E-Prance 0803 got an 0805 now using a B48.
Purchased what I thought was an 0803 8gb with GPS which turns out to be an 0805 8gb (liking the free upgrade/sidegrade)
Anyway I cant get a sat fix, firmware version is 21141112 v1.0
Its placed behind the rear view mirror in a 2003 Citroen C3 I have heard/read somewhere that certain windscreens can block GPS signals.
Any thoughts?
Brought & forfilled from Amazon on behalf of E-Prance so I'm assuming its not a fake/copy.

How long have you left it? It can take an hour or so on first startup to find satellites.

Also, have you tried it outside the car to see if it gets a fix?

It was on for around an hour yesterday, 2 x 30 minute trips, not tried it out of the car yet, if it doesnt lock by next weekend i'll take the mount off the screen & give that a go.
How long have you left it? It can take an hour or so on first startup to find satellites.

Also, have you tried it outside the car to see if it gets a fix?

Still no GPS lock after about 1.5 hrs today, have contacted E-Prance and had a reply from "Nina"
Mentioned it to a bloke I work with and he said some screens have a UV reflective coating which can interfere with GPS signals.
As a thought is there any way you can mount the GPS module somewhere else and then run a lead to a STD non GPS module to which the cam is fitted.

athermic windscreens sometimes have an area that is transparent to the signal, would need to check your owners manual and see if any mention of that, you wouldn't be able to extend your GPS on that model but perhaps a model with remote external GPS might be more suitable if you do indeed have a suitable section of the window for antenna placement

Thanks, I'll have to check into that. Guess the next stop would be the owners manual :eek:
athermic windscreens sometimes have an area that is transparent to the signal, would need to check your owners manual and see if any mention of that, you wouldn't be able to extend your GPS on that model but perhaps a model with remote external GPS might be more suitable if you do indeed have a suitable section of the window for antenna placement

Usually black dots area behind reat mirror does not block GPS signal. You can test it with cell phone and some application that measures GPS signal strength (like GPS Test for android).
Put the phone against windshield and measure GPS signal in different areas on windshield by moving the phone around. That way you can determine which area does not blocks the signal.

You sir are a legend, didn't know that and it works, cheers bud much appreciated. :)

Usually black dots area behind reat mirror does not block GPS signal. You can test it with cell phone and some application that measures GPS signal strength (like GPS Test for android).
Put the phone against windshield and measure GPS signal in different areas on windshield by moving the phone around. That way you can determine which area does not blocks the signal.

Getting a lock after 15 seconds, learn something new every day, happy bunny :)

Back