Green light permanently on

NiceCupOfTea

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

Used my Mobius as a dashcam for a while now and it worked pretty well. Just replaced it and discovered the reason for the random switching off - battery had swelled up like a puffer fish so presumably it had shut down after overheating a few times.

Anyway, bought a new battery and I am now using it as an action cam and it seems to work well (need to tweak the settings). Been using it in conjuction with the JooVuu waterproof case and it has been fantastic. No leaks at all even when snorkelling.

Anyway, noticed the other day a bit of moisture on the cam when I removed it from the case so not sure if a seal was trapped. It wasn't soaking and seemed to have recorded OK. However, the green light was on which I gather from the manual may mean it needs charging. Left it chargine (switched off) overnight, and in the morning the green light was still on but now flashing yellow (ie, it had switched itself on and was recording) and I found half my vids wiped out and replaced with 8 hours of pitch black video of the room :(

Anyway, green light just seems to be on now. No water marks or otherwise inside so I'm not sure if that may be a red herring.

Any ideas on what to do next? Is it toast?

Left it chargine (switched off) overnight, and in the morning the green light was still on but now flashing yellow (ie, it had switched itself on and was recording) and I found half my vids wiped out and replaced with 8 hours of pitch black video of the room :(

As you mentioned it was recording at night, so most likely videos of pitch black just overwritten earlier videos. What memory card size did you use and what is bit-rate you have selected for 1080p / 30Fps ?

Yes, I realise what happened - the camera switched itself on and went straight into record mode, hence the black vids overwriting a lot of my stuff - just not sure why it switched itself on, or indeed why I can't get the green light to go out (it never appears to be fully charged, and even when I unplug it from the charged it stays on). Even unplugging the battery and plugging it back in doesn't help. Timestamps appear to have been reset so wondering if it is some anomaly caused by running the battery flat. Would a reset help given I have already pulled the battery?

Using a branded 64GB card (same one I have used in it for months), formatted in the Mobius, max bitrate 1080p.

I know how you feel...one of my C2 lens went belly up recently green light only, I tried another memory card just in case but its dead.

Its less than a year old does anyone think Banggood will replace it under warranty.

Somewhere I think it was on RCGroups someone had re-flowed the PCB on a dead Mobius and it worked again.

It's always worth trying for warranty service, but it's always a hassle with BG and GB. They'll want video showing the symptoms, they'll tell you the card is bad and to try another one, there will be delays in their response, and they may ask you to return it. Do as you wish, but if you think you can manage the CMOS cable and do a board swap that will be faster. Board currently under $40US:
Phil

Hmmm, reset makes no difference and plugging into my laptop doesn't work, it doesn't recognise it, so it looks like it's bricked somehow. Disappointing. Can't remember where I bought it from now, I've had it a couple of years. I will see if I can get a replacement PCB on ebay or just buy a new one.

Is there a way to do a hard reset?

I do think the mobius have a small reset hole on the back next to the SD card slot, its a small 1 mm hole so you need a needle or paperclip to push the button inside.

Hmmm, reset makes no difference and plugging into my laptop doesn't work, it doesn't recognise it, so it looks like it's bricked somehow. Disappointing. Can't remember where I bought it from now, I've had it a couple of years. I will see if I can get a replacement PCB on ebay or just buy a new one.

Is there a way to do a hard reset?
The only way to do a hard reset, meaning all parameters are set to their default values, is to manually re-install the firmware. Even better would to be to install an old firmware version and then the current version.
If your camera isn't recognized by your PC then you'll have to use a card reader to copy the firmware file to the card.

Back