Greetings from Chicagoland

Xamu

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Viofo A119 V3, Viofo T130, Viofo T130
You can call me Xamu. It doesn't mean anything, just a funny looking word. I'm in Chicagoland - closer to Wisconsin than Chicago proper.

Just got a Viofo A119 V3 delivered today. Looking forward to learning from the experienced folks here.

TTFN...

Welcome to the forum Xamu.

Welcome to DCT. Where in Chicagoland? Used to live pretty close to Wisconsin myself years back.

Welcome to DCT. Where in Chicagoland? Used to live pretty close to Wisconsin myself years back.
Middle of Lake County, near the oasis. :ROFLMAO:

Middle of Lake County, near the oasis. :ROFLMAO:
Cool. Used to live in Waukegan. Did a lot of fishing around the NW part of the county.

Hi
Try the H265 secret feature, you get better video with less space. Works great as long as you have a relatively new computer and smartphone.

Hi
Try the H265 secret feature, you get better video with less space. Works great as long as you have a relatively new computer and smartphone.
Hey there,

I sorta discovered H265 by accident - but not the way you mean. I was playing around with resolution yesterday and just to see what it is like, I changed the res to 3440x1440 and it automatically chose the H265 codec. Was fairly confusing later when I tried - without success - to play back the video with Media Player, Movies and TV, Windows Media Player (apparently not the same as the earlier one), and finally was successful with VLC.

BTW, I'm assuming the secret feature you mean is > By default the camera uses h.264, but if you stop recording and then hold the mic button for 2 seconds until it beeps it switches the camera to using h.265. The main benefit you will see with h.265 are smaller files sizes for the same quality video.

I haven't tried that yet and I'm not sure I want to. I'd probably have to convert the video back to H264 to be useful for the insurance company or police. Might be easier to just have a 256GB SD card. :unsure:

...I'd probably have to convert the video back to H264 to be useful for the insurance company or police...
Very likely, and that could come back to bite you eventually. While insurance companies might not have a problem law enforcement and the court system(s) will require original video files. I'd bet dollars to doughnuts than a converted file would not qualify as, or be accepted as, original by the 'other party'. Much better off using the most widely accepted format/encoding available and getting larger storage to save yourself potential headaches.

Very likely, and that could come back to bite you eventually. While insurance companies might not have a problem law enforcement and the court system(s) will require original video files. I'd bet dollars to doughnuts than a converted file would not qualify as, or be accepted as, original by the 'other party'. Much better off using the most widely accepted format/encoding available and getting larger storage to save yourself potential headaches.
I think you're right. Then there's the whole defense attorney, "you tried to modify the file so there's no reason I should believe my own lying eyes." :oops:

Back