GS1000 brightness/contrast

andrew73

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
GS1000, DR32, Biker Pro
Hi, newbie here, after reading the excellent dashcam comparison on this site I recently bought a GS1000 Orange from AliExpress/E-Prance and it has firmware SMH 4.36.220812B

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-100- ... 80298.html

A couple of basic questions - is there a way to change the brightness/contrast somewhere in the camera settings? I know I can change it during playback in VLC and it makes a big difference, especially at night. Also I can see quite a few artifacts in the encoding and the bitrate averages about 7000kbps, is there a way to change this setting? Many thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not possible with that firmware. However, some other GS1000's can do that, so in theory if you change your firmware you can have this option, but it's very difficult to find such firmware witch would be 100% safe to do.
There is now only one setting you can do, and it's that "auto night mode". There is also that "anti glare" setting but i didn't notice any affect, so i keep "auto night" always on and that's it.
But may i ask what is the situation where you think you need AV setting or find it useful?

It's the most basic function on any camera I've used before. Here's an example on a dimly lit street by adjusting the B/C settings in the media player (I use VLC), but it would be better to adjust the source!

1.jpg

2.jpg

If you mean night image quality then i believe camera already does the best it can do with auto setting.
GS1000 is excellent camera for it's price, but cheap price comes with limitations, night video is one of them.

Sabe said:
If you mean night image quality then i believe camera already does the best it can do with auto setting.
GS1000 is excellent camera for it's price, but cheap price comes with limitations, night video is one of them.

I have to say after spending all day at a trade show and looking at samples of everyone's cameras that if you want good night mode it comes at the expense of daytime quality, there's going to be a trade off one way or the other

jokiin said:
Sabe said:

I have to say after spending all day at a trade show and looking at samples of everyone's cameras that if you want good night mode it comes at the expense of daytime quality, there's going to be a trade off one way or the other

I agree to an extent, I can improve the night video by adjusting it in the media player but if I then use the same settings on a day-time video it is over-exposed. The camera automatically increases the exposure as it gets darker but it doesn't increase it enough, it could do with an adjustable gain setting for how much the exposure ramps up in darkness, imo.

If the exposure is too low some of the information just isn't there in the picture.

jokiin said:
Shenzhen China Optoelectronics Display Expo ?

Mtz said:
jokiin said:
Shenzhen China Optoelectronics Display Expo ?

Hong Kong Global Sources show

Is there any way to increase the encoding bit-rate? With my firmware 4.36.220812B it's only 7000kb/s and looks a bit blocky sometimes. Do other firmwares use the same encoding rate? 4.35.210512A for example?

Back