GS1000 clone TOP DAWG GPS 1080P DVR DASH CAM

V4rpeH9uIrMsDv

Reaction score
Country
United States
I stopped at a TA truck stop this weekend and noticed that they have a selection of dash cams now. They all looked familiar, but where rebranded by Top Dawg Electronics. I decided to pick one up that looked like a GS1000 clone. I think I paid about 180, which seems to be about the high end of crappy GS1000 clones. They do offer some sort of warranty though. It came with a pretty slow 8 gig card which I promptly switched out for a 32gig sandisk Ultra UHS-I.

TOP DAWG GPS 1080P DVR DASH CAM
http://www.topdawgelectronics.com/top-d ... -dash-cam/

It has an orange menu, although it looks like the new version. It has a 10m bit rate and on the high end records 1920x1080 30p. The video at day is pretty ok, and the night video is only so so.

I couldn't get the IR led's on the front to turn on. I wasn't worried about it though, as the headlights do a pretty ok job providing enough illumination.

The GPS was flakey until I modded it to have the coax run outside of the case. Not sure why this makes much of a difference, but it works great. Locks on as expected now. This idea was posted elsewhere in the forum.

Other than what was listed above I haven't had many problems with it. It locked up once, but hitting the reset button got it right back in action. I wish I had noticed earlier though. The G sensor seems overly sensitive. I just turned it off. I carry a second card just incase anything worthwhile happens.

Let me know if you have any questions.

-Sean

Attachments

• Angle.jpg
    Angle.jpg
    284.8 KB · Views: 300
  • Back.jpg
    Back.jpg
    504.7 KB · Views: 300
  • Front.jpg
    Front.jpg
    406.1 KB · Views: 299
  • coaxmod.jpg
    coaxmod.jpg
    429 KB · Views: 299
  • SetupMenu.jpg
    SetupMenu.jpg
    448.4 KB · Views: 299
  • Firmware.jpg
    Firmware.jpg
    550.1 KB · Views: 300
Last edited by a moderator:
I uploaded a 10 minute video to Youtube to give you an idea of quality. It was mixed overcast, rainy, and sunny. I was surprised how well the mic picked up conversation in the car. It doesn't really show in this video though. You can also see that this was before I fixed the GPS. Also like all other GS1000 it is only in KPH.

http://youtu.be/t3eDz4Vcefg

-Sean

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a fake GS1000 Orange Menu camera. Very bad price for one of these! Should cost under $100. Never trust a store that spells dog as "dawg"!

spytec said:
That's a fake GS1000 Orange Menu camera. Very bad price for one of these! Should cost under $100. Never trust a store that spells dog as "dawg"!

I have seen worse so called "original".
Image quality is good for a gs1000, fake or not fake.
And if it has real working warranty then it is more than many chinese seller can offer.

Well, I'm saying that knowing what the fake orange units cost and knowing that we (Spy Tec) sell the "real" orange unit for 60 dollars less and also offer a warranty. Anyways, everything from a truck stop is always going to cost more!

Hopefully I won't have to test out the warranty. I doubt I'll be able to since I modified it anyway.

I was just happy to see these for sale in the US from a real store. Hopefully this will prod some larger manufactures to make a unit with a higher build quality.

-Sean

Back