GS5000 GPS Problem

Echobot

Reaction score
Hi All,

I purchased a GS5000 (fake) orange menu with firmware 20120929 and I seem to have a problem with the GPS. I've had the camera in the open away from objects and on the car roof for an hour and only had GPS signal for not even 1 minute in total. The camera works ok.. but the GPS seems faulty. This GPS icon stays red and only went green for three short periods and then went red again. Also, when it did pick up a signal, it said that my location was off the coast of Japan when I'm in Australia.

Has anyone else seen this problem?

Thanks.

Echo.

I have the same problem with my gs5000 with orange menu.
It worked for a trip one day,
Wondering if a new firmware would help?

Hi again,

I tried to do a firmware backup using autoexec.ash so that I could try a firmware upgrade but for some reason it doesn't work.

I powered off the camera, removed the card from the camera, formatted the SD card on my computer, placed the autoexec.ash on the card, inserted the card back into the camera and powered the camera on again.

There was no change to normal operation. The camera started normally and created its usual directory structure on the card and ignored the autoexec.ash.

We have bought a fake gs5000 we realise now.
have a similar problem with the gps showing us driving around the sea of japan as well.
Bought it through myzone50 on ebay.
they not very helpful at all and seem to drag out the communications so as to get out of the paypal protection periods and ebay review time frame.
the first unit would not even boot.
the second unit has our 4wd as a submarine around japan.
i looked at the files and the unit records a mov file for the video and a txt for the gps.
on looking at the txt file it is recording the lattitude as a positive figure.
as an experiment i altered the lattitudes to a negative figure and the ran the file through the viewer and guess what it was exact.
the firmware must be locked to North and not automatically recognising the southern position.
old gps units i had you had to manually set it to north or south.
has anyone been able to resolve this issue?????? is there away to access the firmware to alter the co-ordinate settings???
If one could access the firmware and put a negative or S in would solve my problems. sounds to easy
I think we have been been burnt and just about given up on myzone 50, trying to get a reply from them is hard and even ebay has written to them and got a reply but that has been it for 2 weeks.
the first 30 degree day the mount warped.

The GPS problem is something that can be addressed in the firmware, whether or not you can get an update is another matter

You could try Registrator Viewer for playback, some users report this works for them

To Eagleandove and
Echobot said:
Hi All,

...when it did pick up a signal, it said that my location was off the coast of Japan when I'm in Australia.

Has anyone else seen this problem?

Thanks.

Echo.
OP.

Re the GPS position placing you off the coast of Japan when you are in Australia. This can be fixed in RegistratorViewer (DataKam Viewer) by selecting View > Fix co-ordinates > flip/reflect Y (Latitude) from the menu selections along the top of the display window.
I have a carcam GPS5000 with white on black menu choices, with selected item orange.
The firmware version is 201300322
My files are in folders GPS for the text files and DCIM\101Video for video files and DCIM\102Image for stills
The CD I got with the device is useless. It is mainly in chinese and the CARGPS file is corrupted

Playing the MOV files in Windows Media Player or in Apple Quicktime is considerably jerky but fairly good definition. Motion is much smoother using the DATAKAM Viewer.

The G Sensor does not activate recording on heavy braking, (on setting 2), so it appears you have to actually hit something for it to work. I am not prepared to go that far to test it....LOL
I am still trying to work out how to store loop recorded footage, if I want to store the footage leading up to an incident, worth capturing. If I press RECORD, it appears to record only from when I press the RECORD buttton.
Pressing the snapshot key appears to only take a still photo.

I hope this is of help to someone

Back