GS6000 Lane Drift/Departure Warning System (LDWS) - Gimmick?

Scruit

Reaction score
Country
United States
I finally figured out how to set up the LDWS on the GS6000.

1) In the menu, select LDWS Detect and set it to ON
2) Select LDWS Calibration and set it to YES
3) Hit the menu button to exit out. You will see two horizontal lines, purple and red. Use the up/down buttons to the left of the screen to set the purple line to match the horizon.
4) Press the left button on the TOP OF THE CAMERA (near the mount). NOW the up/down keys to the left of the screen will adjust the RED line up and down. Adjust the line to match the division between your hood/bonnet and the road.
5) Hit OK (the topmost button to the right of the screen)

6) As you are driving, when you change lanes you will get a red word "Departure" appear on your screen. Also, you'll hear a tiny little ding.

Cool, huh?

NO.

Why not?

Because of:

1) It doesn't hook up to the turn signal so EVERY lane change results in a warning. You WILL start to ignore it after 5 minutes.
2) It doesn't detect until you are mostly in the next lane. Too late to do anything about it if there is a car next to you.
3) The warning ding is as quiet as a mouse fart.

To the folks at iTracker: How to improve it...

1) Allow me to hook the camera up to the turn signals so you DO NOT warn me when I make an intentional lane change. Only warn me if I make a lane change with no signal.
2) Detect the drift sooner. If my wheels hit that line then let me know. The way it works right now the insurance claim will arrive before the LDWS warning.
3) Louder warning. I want to to be scared straight, literally.

Also:

4) While you are hooking up the turn signals, please let me hook up the brake too, then give me an option to stamp the turn signal / brake status on the video just like the GPS or time stamp.
5) Perhaps a loud warning if the car in front of me is getting closer quickly and I'm not braking? You could measure the horizontal distance between the brake lights on the screen and if the distance increases rapidly and the brakes are not applied the get my attention quickly.

Thanks!

the 4 channel systems integrate with the indicators so possibly achievable with some shared technology, as it stands though I don't see the value in LDWS and even though I have models coming that have this capability in the chipset I have no intention of utilising it as I see it just as a gimmick when implemented like this

Back