GS8000 - Have I been scammed?

Watashiwa78

Reaction score
Hello,

This is my first post on the forum so bear with me if I come across as a complete imbecile. :P I just received 8pc of the GS8000 from supplier M&M China / MinMin-Led and I strongly suspect that I have been scammed. This was supposed to be GS8000 with Ambarella chipset, but it is clearly not. I am hoping someone can help me with the following issues/questions...

1) The camera supposedly comes with an external GPS-module. However when I browse the files stored in the camera (USB) there are only .mov-files and no .map files. Should I be seeing both?

The player that came along with this - "CarGPS", does not load any GPS-information. I tried downloading another player - "CarDVC2" and it loads the video too but the following error message appears in the window where I should be seeing a map "the movie gps error" ..I then get a pop-up msg from CarDVC2 saying "Cannot open file "C:\\Users\...... The system cannot find the path specified." Does anyone know what the problem might be? I don't have a working GPS? :)

2) I opened the camera to see what kind of chipset I could find. Funny thing is I don't really see much :?: I only see a large "Samsung 142" chip and some very very small ones. I don't see Ambarella nor Novatek. Is someone able to tell me what this is?

IMG_1044_30percent.jpg

That Samsung chip is the memory chip. The processor is likely on the other side of the circuit board.

If it has GPS, it should be creating some kind of data files. If not, it is likely missing or broken.

the Samsung chip is a memory module, processor will be on a second PC board under that one

try Registrator Viewer for playback, much better than the included ones

some cameras don't create separate files for GPS but include the data within the video file, some that create a separate file don't create the file unless there is GPS signal, there's a lot of variables, I have no idea who the seller is or what product they're selling, Samsung memory is generally only found in better products though, the cheapies usually use Hynix

Thank you both for the quick reply! The Registrator Viewer definitely seems more robust, but I am still somewhat lost.

1) When opening files in "Registrator Viewer" I get a codec-error even though I have installed the K-lite Basic. The vid does however play after I "Ok" this msg. I am runing Win7 32bit so I shoudn't even have to install K-lite, right? This is the error msg I get:

"Cannot open file C:\......\AMBA001.MOV"

Codec not found. Audio: aac.

MOV/MP4/3GPP2 05s

1: Video: AVC1, 3180kbps, 30.0fps, 1920x1080 - Ambarekka AVC vide
2: Audio: MP4A, 128kbps, 46.9 fps - Ambarella AAC soun

File looks correct
Have you installed codec e.g k-lite??

2) There is still no GPS. In "Registrator Viewer" I only see a map of New York and unfortunately I am not there...not even close! :o I feel clueless. Am I out of my mind thinking I am going to get a video with gps-information sitting at my computer, in my appartment recording 1:30 min of video with the USB plugged in? Would I get a different result if I went out on the road with it and/or recorded longer vids? ...which I won't be able to do because my wife has stolen the car...for the weekend :cry:

Watashiwa78 said:
1) When opening files in "Registrator Viewer" I get a codec-error even though I have installed the K-lite Basic. The vid does however play after I "Ok" this msg. I am runing Win7 32bit so I shoudn't even have to install K-lite, right? This is the error msg I get:

MOV/MP4/3GPP2 05s

1: Video: AVC1, 3180kbps, 30.0fps, 1920x1080 - Ambarekka AVC vide
2: Audio: MP4A, 128kbps, 46.9 fps - Ambarella AAC soun

File looks correct
Have you installed codec e.g k-lite??

an error like this is often an indicator that you have some other playback or editing software on your computer that is clashing with Registrator Viewer, this would be a PC problem on your end, it is neither the DVR or Registrator Viewer at fault in this case, it can be a bit of work to find out where the problem is, it's often easier to uninstall the offending program, sorry can't offer more help in this respect

the file naming convention and codec info does show you have an Ambarella chipset

Watashiwa78 said:
2) There is still no GPS. In "Registrator Viewer" I only see a map of New York and unfortunately I am not there...not even close! :o I feel clueless. Am I out of my mind thinking I am going to get a video with gps-information sitting at my computer, in my appartment recording 1:30 min of video with the USB plugged in? Would I get a different result if I went out on the road with it and/or recorded longer vids? ...which I won't be able to do because my wife has stolen the car...for the weekend :cry:

as I mentioned some DVR's if there's no GPS signal recorded they don't record a separate file, alternatively it can be embedded in with the video, if there's no GPS info you won't see any map detail, you need to take it outside and try it

Watashiwa78 said:

Did the camera come with a little blue CD? if so put in the CD and look for a folder called cardv_r and in there a file called something like
VistaCodecs_v531. My Windows Box is a 7 and i had play back issues in The RegistratorViewer program with my GS8000. Installed this and everything played

Also my GS8000 external GPS went bad after awhile. it did have map files when it worked though.

There are many fakes out there.

Have few questions:

- Can you give us direct link of website / item you bought.
- Also, what kind of payment menhod did you use ?
- What kind of holder / bracket did you got ?
- Also, does your GS8000 has on top edge one side a 3.5mm socket with GPS words printed ?
Original ones with GPS option have GPS module built into the bracket.

Just give you some links to think and analyse:

All GS8000 listed on Ali:
http://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?Sea ... sPremium=y

Standard suction mount gs8000 with no gps but advertised with Ambarella cpu. With NO GPS 3.5mm socket ( instead it has AV socket )
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Car-DVR- ... 44057.html

With Abarella + GPS, ( see on this one instead of AV port on top, it has GPS )
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/G8000-2- ... 46506.html

Those above priced around ca. 90usd.

Now see GS8000 with Novatek cpu and priced 36.67usd
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Car-DVR- ... 31652.html

M&M CHina gs8000 list is higher priced and advertised as with GPS, but also interesting that specs says ( built in GPS ), - which is wrong !
Also if you look at pictures, there as an AV port on top, not GPS port

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/815672/ ... ext=gs8000
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product ... 75356.html

Maybe they sent you cheaper fake with Novatek CPU ( mentioned above ) ?

Also there is an article about probable scamm:
http://community.aliexpress.com/threads ... -China-LTD

Last edited by a moderator:
niko said:
Maybe they sent you cheaper fake with Novatek CPU ( mentioned above ) ?

the files are consistent with being an Ambarella cam, haven't seen anyone go to the extremes of trying to emulate that with a different cheaper processor, could be done I guess but I don't think it would have been, 90% of people would never even open the product and just assume what they got was correct providing it worked

I'd guess either no GPS or GPS not operating correctly at worst

Me also started thinking how data properties could be "cheated" to display different info if using a cheap Novatek cpu, but I remember days when very first MP3 / MP4 / MP5 players internal memory capacity was faked via soft ( you plug it into PC, see properties, read 8GB, but in reality is was 1Gb ), - same "they" do now with Flash MemoryCards, so you never know what "they" can come up with ?
Also worries me as few sellers advertised it being with Novatek and the price is also too good to be true ( 35-40usd ??! )
But lets wait "Watashiwa78" to confirm some details I asked above and see where can go from there.

Hi Guys!

I would like to refresh this topic a bit, because neither can I decide if I have a fake GS8000 or not.
On the top of it, I have a GPS labelled 3,5mm socket. Everything works, GPS coordinates, time and cam name also stamped to the video.

But, I cannot turn off the voice recording. It shows on the LCD that the voice recording is turned off, but it's not true. I have to change the volume every time when I power on the device, because it always forgets the volume configuration. It's the same at contrast, white b, sharpness options, too.

The recorded video is 1920x180, but the quality...

Here is a sample:
As you can see, you cannot read for example a license plate because of the quality.

I checked the chipset, and I have the same one as Watashiwa78 and not like this: http://dashcamtalk.com/gs8000/

The biggest problem is that I cannot update the firmware. I have a firmware with version V 1.3GV2191
I downloaded the latest firmware from this site, copied the yamaha.bin to the sd card, but nothing happened (yes, I plugged the card into the device's slot :D)

What is your opinion? Is it a fake one?
How can I upgrade my firmware if there isn't any reaction for the inserted bin file?

Thanks!

sometimes it's just the firmware name that is wrong, could also use firmware.bin rather than yamaha.bin that said though if the name differs it is usually a good indicator that it's the incorrect version

this is a problem model unfortunately

sometimes it's just the firmware name that is wrong, could also use firmware.bin rather than yamaha.bin that said though if the name differs it is usually a good indicator that it's the incorrect version

this is a problem model unfortunately

First of all, thanks for your reply!

What does problem model mean? Do you mean, problematic hw? So I shouldn't update the firmware, because the "special" version is required to work? Is it possible, that in this model the camera's quality is a weaker then the others, and this is the reason why my sample video is so bad? In this case, a new firmware couldn't indicate a better quality?

Thank you very much!

problem model. high failure rate, has been reworked a couple of times and still not great, I believe there are different hardware variants as well which would fracture the firmware into multiple versions, I suspect your efforts are not going to be rewarded with any better results unfortunately, sorry

problem model. high failure rate, has been reworked a couple of times and still not great, I believe there are different hardware variants as well which would fracture the firmware into multiple versions, I suspect your efforts are not going to be rewarded with any better results unfortunately, sorry

what do you think, GS8800 could be a good choice from foxoffer as a replacement? is foxoffer a reliable distributor?

what do you think, GS8800 could be a good choice from foxoffer as a replacement? is foxoffer a reliable distributor?

to be honest that's a model I'm not that familiar with, I'm sure @billknow from Foxoffer would let you know what it's like and if there are other models at the same budget you should consider

And yes, Foxoffer is a very reliable supplier

GS8800 is new version, ambarella a2 chip, same manufacturer as gs8000.
The old gs8000 is stopped production.
The chipset is on the other side, I am not sure you can see the chipset, because recently I opened one gs9000, the chipset is covered by aluminum case, hard to open this case.
I think the one you bought is not fake.
Can you show the menu and version number?
Also can you show the link where you bought?

the GT75S released yet? if not when is their release?

the GT75S released yet? if not when is their release?

not yet, that model will follow the GT2S, hopefully within about 6 weeks of the GT2S

probably better not to ask these questions here though as it's dragging this thread off topic

yeah I just realised right then I hijacked this thread and started deleting when you replied, im too tired.

Back