GSE550 firmware upgrade

ghines

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Dash Cam
Viofo A119S
Hi,

I'm trying to update the firmware of a GSE550 from V1.20 T24-MFH to V5.4 T24-MFH and I'm not having any luck. The instructions I followed are:-

1) Remove microSD card from GSE-550.

(2) Insert microSD into computer.

(3) Download latest firmware V5.4

(4) Extract file and rename the .BIN file to: yamaha.bin

(5) Copy the file yamaha.bin onto microSD card

(6) Insert microSD card back into GSE550 and turn it on.

(7) On screen there should be a animated circle with text "firmware update".
Wait for about 20 seconds for this to complete loading.

(8) Message will display indicating to turn off device.. turn off.

(9) Remove memory card and insert into computer and delete yamaha.bin

(10) Re-insert memory card. Firmware update completed

However the GSE550 just starts recording and will not update the firmware when it is switched on.

Have tried both with a blank formatted (FAT32) card with just the BIN file on it and a working card with recordings on it. Both have the same result.

Any ideas why the firmware is not updating would be appreciated.

TIA

ghines said:
jokiin said:
ghines said:
Yes it does

has it got a reset button on it, the type you put a paperclip or similar in?
yes

ok, I'd suggest pressing the reset and hold for 5 seconds, then reboot with the firmware file only on a freshly formatted card, pressing reset first should clear the buffer and allow it to do a clean boot

did they offer an MD5 checksum for the firmware file, just to confirm that the file isn't corrupt?

let us know how you go

ok, I'd suggest pressing the reset and hold for 5 seconds, then reboot with the firmware file only on a freshly formatted card, pressing reset first should clear the buffer and allow it to do a clean boot
Tried this several times and still no updating of the firmware. :cry:

did they offer an MD5 checksum for the firmware file, just to confirm that the file isn't corrupt?
Unfortunately not. But I did download version 3.1 and that gave the same result so I think a corruption is unlikely.

Any other suggestions appreciated.

ghines said:
Tried this several times and still no updating of the firmware. :cry:

Unfortunately not. But I did download version 3.1 and that gave the same result so I think a corruption is unlikely.

Any other suggestions appreciated.

are you certain it's a genuine DOD product, did you get it from a reliable supplier?

ghines said:
are you certain it's a genuine DOD product, did you get it from a reliable supplier?
yes, very sure.

How what?

maybe try contacting this member memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=451 he sells this model, doesn't seem to have been on here much lately so not sure when he might get back to you but maybe he could offer you some tips about the firmware update

Last edited by a moderator:
ghines said:
yes, very sure.

How what?

What vendor did you purchase from? Also how old is the unit approx?
And where did you find the upgrade software?

DOD does not have it on there site for download so just curious if you got a proper download.

Kyle
Reliable-Eyewitness.com

Last edited by a moderator:
REyewitness said:
DOD does not have it on there site for download so just curious if you got a proper download.

even if his camera is genuine there's the possibility he has a firmware file from a knockoff, if that's the case then probably a good thing it won't install

If its only 2 weeks old you should have the latest software already.
Curious does yours have the rubber flaps covering the power and USB cover? The latest models do not have those covers. Maybe old stock but it would be over 8months to a year.

What software do you have installed? #

Sounds like you have a new unit. Personally I would just leave it alone, perhaps there is a reason that firmware is installed (reliability or conflicting functions??). On the new units I wouldnt be surprised if they changed the update procedure, as there are lots of knock offs that would love to be able to update.

REyewitness said:
Sounds like you have a new unit. Personally I would just leave it alone, perhaps there is a reason that firmware is installed (reliability or conflicting functions??). On the new units I wouldnt be surprised if they changed the update procedure, as there are lots of knock offs that would love to be able to update.
Are you able to tell me what the current version is that you are seeing in your region in GSE550 units?

TIA

Greg

Greetings DashCamTalk,

Firstly, we love the independent and impartial reviews this site has to offer regarding car camera products.
Definitely very informative, and helpful for consumers and businesses alike. Well done.

Just to introduce ourselves, we're an Australian based vendor/retailer selling the same line of products. On this topic, having addressed this concern with our customer, we thought it would be worth while to reach out to the broader community and shed some light on this firmware matter.

This thread was brought to our attention by our customer (OP) regarding discrepancies between the GSE550 manual booklet and actual unit. It was reported the "Screen Saver" feature is not available on devices with the firmware version: V1.20 T24-MFH.

Contrary to what the manual states, the LATEST GSE550 does not include the screen saver option. The screen can be turned off manually by pressing the left arrow key.
The older version included this saver feature, and the display was subsequently known to spontaneously turn on.. thus resulting in this feature being disabled. The manual published 2011 has since NOT been updated. Refer to the DOD-TEC official downloads page.

The LATEST GSE550 does not include the rubber flaps covering the USB/MicroSD ports. These were removed, due to the older versions being sensitive and easily snapping off.

The above information was confirmed and relayed following liaison with DOD Official (Taiwan). As mentioned above by some others, we're not entirely sure the contents published on your GSE550 review page is entirely accurate (concerning the firmware update). However, we hope this info would be somewhat helpful for people wondering the same question.

cheers,

Back