GW1-C problems

Ghislain

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I've had it over a week. When I insert a memory card the menu functions become inaccessible, and the camera won't record. If I pull the memory card, it works fine, menus are accessible again, any help?

I've had it over a week. When I insert a memory card the menu functions become inaccessible, and the camera won't record. If I pull the memory card, it works fine, menus are accessible again, any help?
What brand memory card?

It's always worth trying a hard reset if a camera is acting up and doing strange things. It may not fix it but it won't hurt anything. Somewhere on the camera is a small hole that has the reset switch inside. Press it briefly with the end of a bent paperclip. I don't own a GW1-C so I don't know where the switch is located but every camera has one. Please note: Many cameras have a microphone hole that looks exactly like the reset button hole. Make sure not to poke the paperclip into the wrong hole!

Edit: CYL makes a good point. Check to see if the card is the problem.

the memory card is a no name and has worked fine for a weeks of so. I've also heard that a hard reset will change the language, so i'm not sure if i want to do that.

It probably will not change the language but it would be a simple matter of changing it back to English if it should. Even if you can't read what language you are choosing all you need to do is find out where the menu item is for "language" and cycle through them until you see the one you want. It shouldn't be a big deal.

the memory card is a no name and has worked fine for a weeks of so. I've also heard that a hard reset will change the language, so i'm not sure if i want to do that.
Maybe try and make a note of the process while it is in english.

Press menu 3 clicks down from when menu is pressed gets me to change the language number one is Russian number two is German so on and so forth. If it does not work I would first maybe pull a name brand, but not SanDisk micro card out of something else if possible pop it in and see what happens. Sometimes cards can just stop working. I had to replace a SanDisk card damaged by a GS8000 before

I have a feeling the card is full and it didn't start back at the beginning to record new files, I can't check the card my reader isn't working. I'll have to check it tomorrow.

Once again, CYL makes a good point! He is basically saying the same thing I was trying to say but he said it better. I went through this myself onetime when I accidentally reset a camera to some language I am convinced is not of this planet but one way or another, there are only so many choices in the menu. Even in a foreign language the menu options are often more or less self explanatory.

Anyway, considering your troubles here you need to do some trouble shooting to find out if the camera is faulty. So, try the card thing first and then do a reset if you have to. :)

I have a feeling the card is full and it didn't start back at the beginning to record new files, I can't check the card my reader isn't working. I'll have to check it tomorrow.
I have never had a problem with my Loop not being set up, but maybe I did set it when I bought the camera and forgot. I don't know why that would completely lock you out of the menu though, but hopefully you can get it to work.

Also in terms of card reader make sure you go the way of
Micro>Full sized adapter>PC
or
Micro>Full sized adapter>USB Card reader>PC
If not you might as well go cook dinner while you wait for files to erase.

I have a Transcend card reader that accepts microSD cards which is pretty handy. Nevertheless, FWIW, after owning seven different dash cams and playing around with a few others I have never had a problem with any card, SD, microSD, brand, size, class or otherwise. Glitches have always been with the cameras themselves and generally speaking, a hard reset or re-installation or update of firmware has been the fix-it. On the other hand many on this forum complain of card related problems so I guess anything is possible.

I have never had a problem with any card, SD, microSD, brand, size, class or otherwise. Glitches have always been with the cameras themselves and generally speaking, a hard reset or re-installation or update of firmware has been the fix-it..

I just want to point out for Ghislain that....

1 Some G1Ws for one reason or another will throw a memory card error with a SanDisk class 10 brand card. My own G1W has done it that works fine with a Transcend class 10 card.
and
2 There are around 4 or 5 different internal mainboards that a manufacturer can choose from in making a G1W, and different retailers sell different ones There is a Firmware update posted under the G1W FAQ page here. However it may not work with the mainboard version in your G1W and could make things worse then they are now. Unless you get an update from from the vendor you bought the camera off of I would suggest against updating a G1W

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, I just made a new account to say that I am having the exact same problem as you.. it recorded maybe 13 gigs worth of material (from a 32 gb card) and then it just stopped working. I only realized it after unplugging it from the car and saw that there was no menu on screen. The entire HUD dissapears and pressing buttons does nothing. Unplugging the card will turn the unit off and without the card all displays/menus/buttons work. I wiped the memory card clean, even of the DCIM folder and it seems to make it work again until the card fills up just below halfway. It has happened twice now and it is pretty consistent. I bought one of those class 10 (or so they say) no-name cards from a chinase seller, why would it work for a while then quit.

It is interesting that two G1W-C owners are reporting the same problem. It is hard to say what the cause of the issue may be at this point but it is also interesting that both state that they are using "no-name" microSD cards. Somebody needs to try a quality name brand card to eliminate this question.

Sometimes they can be OK but very often cheap "no-name" memory cards are NOT a bargain! They can even damage a device. In certain high end cameras such as Nikon DSLRs the company specifies specific brands of memory cards that are authorized to work with their cameras and if the camera should fail while you are using another brand or a no-name card they will not honor the warranty.

Then again, it would be interesting to know if this problem is exclusive to the super-capacitor version of this camera.

Last edited:
It is interesting that two G1W-C owners are reporting the same problem. It is hard to say what the cause of the issue may be at this point but it is also interesting that both state that they are using "no-name" microSD cards. Somebody needs to try a quality name brand card to eliminate this question.

Sometimes they can be OK but very often cheap "no-name" memory cards are NOT a bargain! They can even damage a device. In certain high end cameras such as Nikon DSLRs the company specifies specific brands of memory cards that are authorized to work with their cameras and if the camera should fail while you are using another brand or a no-name card they will not honor the warranty.

Then again, it would be interesting to know if this problem is exclusive to the super-capacitor version of this camera.

I will go pick up a better sd card and try it out within the next few days. Today a new problem arose after reformatting the card and starting fresh, the cam worked again (for the third time) and it recorded two-ish hours and then I went to review one of the files to find that 50% of the files wouldn't play back, something about splitter error meaning the file was corrupt.

On this sites page for the g1w it states
Not Recording / Responding
One owner has reported that the G1W started to turn off without showing any signs of turning off (the red light was on). When trying to press the buttons they would not respond with the exception of holding the ON button to turn the camera off. The video files were corrupted as well. There is no known solution and the camera appears to be defective.
which sounds pretty similar to our first problem, maybe also sd card related.

To everyone having issues with noname cards. Make sure the card in question can actually store the advertised capacity. Copy 32 Gb of any data (or whatever capacity the card is supposed to have) to the card using a card reader (not dashcam) and then copy it from the card somewhere. See if you get any errors and watch the speed of copying.

Cheap cards can very well be 4 Gb in reality but marked as 32 Gb or such. And/or be class 2 but marked as class 10.

To everyone having issues with noname cards. Make sure the card in question can actually store the advertised capacity. Copy 32 Gb of any data (or whatever capacity the card is supposed to have) to the card using a card reader (not dashcam) and then copy it from the card somewhere. See if you get any errors and watch the speed of copying.

Cheap cards can very well be 4 Gb in reality but marked as 32 Gb or such. And/or be class 2 but marked as class 10.

Or you use the program H2testw :3 It writes test data on the card, and checks it afterwards if the files are still okay and shows you, how much capacity (If its a fake card) is bad.

using a different card it does the same thing, the issues is that when the card is full it is not looping back to the beginning and recording again.

I use a Transcend 32 GB card Class 4 that I got off Amazon. Works quite well and continuously rewrites on the loop.

For the record, I ran the test and the memory card I was using is in fact one of those corrupt fake 32gb.. only 7gb of it was usable, which would explain why my unit stopped working around 13gb's of storage and half the files wouldn't play.
I now have a 32gb kingston (class 10) that I am trying to get some footage/data on tonight, hopefully it will continuously save files and loop to the beginning when the card is full. Will report back tomorrow. So far the kingston at least lets me play back the files in VLC player which it didn't before.

Back again, took me a little while to fill that 32gb but everything is working smoothly now that I changed the memory card to the kingston class 10 32gb. It appears that all the problems including the ones which seemed to affect the cameras user interface were directly related to the SD card. There should be a sticky on this forum about SD cards and their importance with this model of camera as it seems that it is a pretty common occurrence. Something along the lines of:

G1W-C IMPORTANT READ
When purchasing an Micro SD card for your GW1-C, many people have had hardware/memory problems when using No-Name brands and a specific class 10 Sandisk memory card. Users report that other name brand products from class 4-class 10 have fixed their problems and the camera will work as intended with a proper card.

And add in any other details pertaining to cards that people have come across. I may be overstepping my boundaries as a new user but just thought it might help - seeing as since I have joined there have been at least 4 threads containing SD issues. People could post their cards that worked for them as well to verify which brands seem to stand out.

Back