"Hard Wire" questions and concerns

Callumpy

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Mobius V3 C2
Hello, I'm a new member to the forum but have been poking around for some time. I'm hoping someone is kind enough to help me out with some simple questions and concerns regarding hardwiring.

I've bought an "Add a Fuse"/Fuse Tap (this one) and a 12V to 5V converter with two USB connectors on it (this one).

So... my first concern is the fuses that come with the fuse tap seem to be 20amp, should I get some different ones? Surely 3A is enough for the converter?

My other concern is about putting load on the fuse box, I'm not entirely sure how this works, but won't tapping in and drawing more power cause an overload and potentially blow the ECU?

Thank you for your time!

This seems to be the same setup. Hope it helps you out.

How To Hardwire a Dashcam Simple Easy Steps

This seems to be the same setup. Hope it helps you out.

How To Hardwire a Dashcam Simple Easy Steps

Thank you for the response, I've actually stumbled across that video before, and you're right, it's exactly my setup apart from the VW!

It doesn't answer my question on fuse amperage though, it appears he has a red fuse (normally 10 amp) in the video instead of my 20 amp fuse.

never mind what fuse comes with the fuse tap, use fuses appropriate to the devices you want to connect

I found this on the Amazon link you provided in your initial post:

Question:
what size fuse protection is required before the unit
Answer:
3 amp should be plenty. Have been using mine with a 3a for months now and still working perfectly powering a dash cam (0.5a) and occasionally a phone (1.2a).

Good spot! I never noticed that on the page.

I'll probably order myself a 3 amp fuse before I install it then! I've also noticed that the fuse tap I have bought is probably wrong, having a quick look at my fuse panel and pictures of it online, it appears the fuse tap is too big. I have a Corsa D if anyone knows about it.

So I've ordered a new fuse tap (this one) to rectify my mistake, and a capacitor for the Mobius. Will also go to Halfrauds to get some different fuses, probably 3A ones like suggested and see how it goes.

Also would just like to point out this thread where a guy has done the same thing pretty much, and has some nice details such as points to ground the converter.

Hello, I'm a new member to the forum but have been poking around for some time. I'm hoping someone is kind enough to help me out with some simple questions and concerns regarding hardwiring.

I've bought an "Add a Fuse"/Fuse Tap (this one) and a 12V to 5V converter with two USB connectors on it (this one).

So... my first concern is the fuses that come with the fuse tap seem to be 20amp, should I get some different ones? Surely 3A is enough for the converter?

My other concern is about putting load on the fuse box, I'm not entirely sure how this works, but won't tapping in and drawing more power cause an overload and potentially blow the ECU?

Thank you for your time!
The concept of fuse size is to use the lowest value that will meet the demands of the circuit. The idea behind that is to minimize the damage should a short occur. The size (gauge) of the wire is designed by the manufacturer and to be cost effective as small as possible. If.. you have a 10 amp fuse and a short occurs on a very light gauge wire it will get hot.. burn.. possibly start a fire before (if ever) the 10 amp fuse blows and effectively shuts off the power.
The add a fuse tap.. will (should) have the original circuit protected with the original size fuse.. and the additional tap fused with something relating to the wire size and expected current draw. And.. for a dash cam as small as you can practically get, typically 3 amps

Just and additional for using fuse tap. You have to make sure to find where is the live connection and appropriately position your fuse tap. Otherwise, the fuse is useless if you position it wrong way.

The concept of fuse size is to use the lowest value that will meet the demands of the circuit. The idea behind that is to minimize the damage should a short occur. The size (gauge) of the wire is designed by the manufacturer and to be cost effective as small as possible. If.. you have a 10 amp fuse and a short occurs on a very light gauge wire it will get hot.. burn.. possibly start a fire before (if ever) the 10 amp fuse blows and effectively shuts off the power.
The add a fuse tap.. will (should) have the original circuit protected with the original size fuse.. and the additional tap fused with something relating to the wire size and expected current draw. And.. for a dash cam as small as you can practically get, typically 3 amps

Thank you for your post, it's a good shout.
I bought some 3A fuses because as you say, I want the fuse to be able to blow if it needs to, rather than causing other things to blow.

Back