Hard Wiring my DVR-207GS. What am I doing wrong here?

sil_til

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I am currently trying to hard-wire my DVR-207GS. However, I just can't figure out how to get power to it. Here's my setup:

The idea is to use an add-a-circuit (this one specifically) to add an extra 12v accessory lighter power outlet (I am using this one). Then I will plug the DVR into the new cigarette outlet.

Here is what I have done so far:

1. Opened fuse box. Look for spare 15A fuse. Take the fuse out of the fusebox.
2. Plug new 15A fuse into Add-A-Circuit.
3. Plug Add-A-Circuit fuse into fusebox (where the spare fuse used to be in step 1).
4. Cut off end of add-a-circuit, solder this wire to the RED WIRE on the 12v cigarette power outlet.
5. Wrap BLACK WIRE of the 12v cigarette power outlet around ground screw near fusebox. Screw it down.
6. Turn on car (everything is powered when the car is powered).

When I try to plug anything into the new cigarette power outlet, I get no power. Am I missing a huge step here? Should I have more than one fuse in the add-a-fuse?Here is a picture of the setup:

outlet111.jpg

I hope that's not your finished work there ;)

Check your ground, some of those dash pieces can be rubber mounted and not provide an adequate earth point so even though it looks like the bolt is going to metal it may not get a good ground to chassis

Thanks for the reply. I'll try re-doing the ground screw. I keep seeing people put more than just a 15A fuse in the add-a-circuit. Is there a reason for that?

P.S. This is definitely not the finished work. Just want to get it working first.

sil_til said:
Thanks for the reply. I'll try re-doing the ground screw. I keep seeing people put more than just a 15A fuse in the add-a-circuit. Is there a reason for that?

P.S. This is definitely not the finished work. Just want to get it working first.

2A is plenty, 15 is already overkill if only going to power the camera, remember a fuse is there to protect the vehicle in case the device shorts out, not the other way around

That makes more sense now.

I tried re-wrapping the ground wire and it's just not working. I may start re-soldering to see if that is the issue. Should I maybe get a different cigarette lighter power outlet? This one seems to have a ton of individual wires inside of it, making it more difficult to work with.

sil_til said:
That makes more sense now.

I tried re-wrapping the ground wire and it's just not working. I may start re-soldering to see if that is the issue. Should I maybe get a different cigarette lighter power outlet? This one seems to have a ton of individual wires inside of it, making it more difficult to work with.

as a test maybe connect that one straight to the battery and make sure the socket is actually good, could always be an internal fault

sil_til said:
When I try to plug anything into the new cigarette power outlet, I get no power. Am I missing a huge step here? Should I have more than one fuse in the add-a-fuse?

Add a circuit requires 2 fuses (hence the 2 slots); the original one for what was initially there and another one for the camera (additional circuit)

Back