Hard Wiring = shortened battery life?

ed_0138

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a blackvue dr650 hard wired with a power magic pro. I have it set to default voltage shutoff setting but changed to 12 hours of recording instead of the default 6.

My car battery is about 2 years old from costco (Kirkland brand). Last night I had to park outside if the garage in the cold (50 degrees). Yesterday morning the car was struggling to start so I made precautions and turned off my power magic pro.

This morning the car wouldn't start at ALL! Battery died and I had to ask my neighbor to help push my car to start it again (stick shift).

Does anybody know if running the power magic pro on continuously for 1 consecutive month will shorten battery life?

PS - I also noticed that in the few days prior to this the camera would automatically be shut off by the power magic pro way short of the 12 hours I was set at due to it being below the warning voltage level.

Set the value:
acNBe.png

and everything will be OK

Get your battery tested would seem like a good idea.

Batteries die in two seasons. Winter when a cold snap hits or summer because of excessive heat.

My PM has been hardwired for 18 months and battery hasnt gone flat except when I went away for 10 weeks.
However I took the camera with me so the PM wasnt the cause.

My car is only used less than once a week so if it was the PM it would have done it by now I would think.

Last edited:
If a dashcam is causimg you grief, I suspect you have a bigger problem. Auto batteries are configured for starting. Loads of juice at a shot, but not for long. They often give up the ghost after a complete discharge or two.

I was going through costco batteries every two years too until I realized my book worm son was leaving his reading light on. I then made the extra effort to check the lights with every park like door locks before turning in. Haven't relaced a battery since.

If a dashcam is causimg you grief, I suspect you have a bigger problem. Auto batteries are configured for starting. Loads of juice at a shot, but not for long. They often give up the ghost after a complete discharge or two.

I was going through costco batteries every two years too until I realized my book worm son was leaving his reading light on. I then made the extra effort to check the lights with every park like door locks before turning in. Haven't relaced a battery since.

Ha ha should buy a car that turns all the lights off a short time after shutting down.

Any car battery wont give up the ghost after 2 discharges unless taken way below 9 volts.
In fact my sons cars battery was reading 2 volts after the brake light switch jammed. We took it to a battery place and they revived it with a slow charge and 6 months later is still going fine,

In the Op's case the PM wouldnt affect the car starting as it only draws about 700mha and is less than having a small light on. He has battery problems as in not holding a charge I would think

i left my wifi on and my phone was close enough to be connected and when i got up,because it had been beaming to each other all night,my battery was flat.......turned wifi off and only put it on when needed and no problems since

Ha ha should buy a car that turns all the lights off a short time after shutting down.

'94 Chevy Astro AWD with 197k miles - Drove from new for 18 years, towed 25 & 29 ft campers up and down the east coast for a decade, never touched the engine or trans and cried when sold. A family with six kids from two marriages searched for months before finding ours for $900 with new state inspection. At 6400 lbs gwt and 10,000 lbs cgwt, when you see it, I wouldn't piss it off.

Back