Hardwire Bluesky B4K

Yak

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi all,

Having a few problems with my B4K install, it randomly turns off. Some key bits of info:

- I am using a hardwire kit with parking guard signal
- I do not want the parking feature
- I have disabled the parking mode feature via the menu on the B4k
- I have the rear camera as well
- My car has one of those smart alternators so from my understanding there can be some drops in voltage
- If I run the AC then dash cam doesn't tend to turn off and on, so I think the problem is related to a high voltage drop - because AC on means alternator is delivering maximum output on the smart alternator.
- I am running a fuse tap with a 5A fuse, the red cable on the hardwire kit has an additional built in 5A glass tube fuse.
-cut off voltage is set at 11.8v on the hardwire jit

I have attached a photo of the the guide that came with the hardwire kit.

Here are the two installs I did:

Install 1
Black wire to ground on chassis. Twisted yellow and red wire together then crimped it to a fuse tap and connected it to an ignited power fuse (cigarette lighter). Dash cam would randomly turn off when driving and turn back on after a while (maybe 30s) and the operate for a little bit and off again - rince and repeat. (Didn't get to try with AC on)

Install 2
I separated the yellow and red wires and connected each one to a separate fuse tap. I couldn't fit both fuse taps in the box without tapping into a critical circuit, so just connected the red cable and dash cam works.. According to the hard wire kit guide, this configuration would mean the dash cam only works in parking mode, but it works in normal operation for me. Tends to turn off much less now and doesn't turn off when AC is on.

What am I doing wrong? Why is it working with just the red wire connected?

Any things I could check? My thoughts are:

Cut off glass tube fuse on red wire (no need to have two 5A fuses in series). - hopefully this reduces voltage drop

Redo crimps - the fuse tap uses a blue crimp, but the hardwire cable is very thin, I folded the cable back on itself before crimping to get a good crimp.

Keen to hear any thoughts or guidance. Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• PXL_20220412_040707907.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220412_040707907.MP.jpg
    374.2 KB · Views: 7
If no need for a parking monitor function, you can use the supplied cigarette lighter for power! It will be a simple solution;

Anyway, you can tap its red wire to a 12v always-on socket; Yellow wire to a switched fuse; Black wire to GND, then disable Parking Mode OFF in the settings!

Back