Hardwire Question

StinkyCheese

Reaction score
Country
United States
Is there a way to have constant power AND have the camera turn on (if off) with ignition? I've got my 119S hardwired with the battery wire on an always hot fuse and I put the ACC on something that comes on with the key (somewhat). I would like to rig the camera to turn on automatically when the truck is started. Is that ACC wire only for changing from parking to regular mode? Before I spend all the time running the wiring to the fuse box under my hood to an actual ignition fuse I thought I'd ask on here to see if that's even possible. Just to provide more information I've got the ACC tapped into the fuse for my steering wheel back lights. So while not true ignition the button lights only come on when I have the running lights on or when headlights are on. Since I always push the button to turn my running/driving lights on I thought that would have been a good place to tap into. I'm sure I can get my buddy to setup a relay or some sorts but I would like to do it the easy way if possible first.

With the 3-wire kit like you have, to get the cam to switch to driving mode recording by itself then back to parking mode when stopped, you'd want to tap into another circuit with the "ACC" wire- one that requires no input from you rather than the light circuit you mentioned using now. The ACC wire draws only a tiny amount of current; it's sole purpose is switching the cam modes with the always hot wire doing the work of powering the cam. Or you can continue as-is but if you should forget to switch on the backlights you'll still be in parking mode when you drive away.

Anytime I'm adding anything electrical to a car, I like to do a 'dry run' and test everything with the wires loose before tucking them away, both to test function and to be sure all the component parts are good. Usually overkill, but it's saved my hide once or twice when a wire connection or component was bad.

Phil

I most likely will never use parking mode. Not even sure if this version has it. I just let the cam record continuously anytime I'm not at home. Zero concern for killing the batteries even before hard wiring it and having the low voltage cut off. So switching out of parking mode is irrelevant. I gather from your reply that the ACC wire's only responsibility is to change from parking to normal. So no turning it on, which is what I wanted to know. Thanks for the help.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J A119S 4
L A119S 8
L A119S 1
D A119S 7
M A119S 19
Back