Hardwiring caused power steering issues

Jessicaxoxo

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 19 plate Peugeot 2008, it was fine until Tuesday I had a nexbase dash cam hardwired, the next day I went to use my car and a power steering fault came up and the steering wheel wouldn’t even turn! I contacted Halfords and someone came out to have a look today.
He took the dash cam out of the fuse box and reset the car computer and it started to work again, he then rewired the dash cam into another fuse port and the car stopped working again and he couldn’t get it to rework.
He’s saying it’s unlikely the dash cam has caused this issue with the power steering however I seem to think he’s wrong because the car was fine, passed its service and mot only days before.
I’ve attached a picture of the diagnostic test the mobile tech performed also.
And he also said that when he initially tested the car battery it was fine, then when he tested after rewiring the dash cam the battery seemed low.
He’s now left the dash cam completely unwired and the cars power steering still won’t work…. Someone please shed light on what’s happened and if Halfords are liable to cover the costs to repair the car.

Attachments

• C21AFD66-A37C-4766-B1D2-979CC7D91159.jpeg
    C21AFD66-A37C-4766-B1D2-979CC7D91159.jpeg
    531.3 KB · Views: 12
On some cars taking too much current from a fuse can cause unexpected results. CANBUS systems are sometimes protected and when too much draw is detected will shut down that circuit.

I'm not a fan of piggybacking.

You could do with knowing exactly what fuses he used and checking the fuses are still good as well as the slots they secure to. Needs someone with a multimeter who knows how to use it to check the basics.

Hard to imagine that taking power from the fuse box for the camera would cause a problem with the power steering. I would be checking the fuses related to the steering system to ensure they are all good. And..perhaps for dislodged wires inadvertently disconnected while placing the wiring for the camera.

Back