Hardwiring the A229?

CliveR

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Am I right in saying that, if hardwiring with the Viofo hardwire kit, that both switched and permanent 12v needs to be connected?
I have just spent ages trying to get it working with just the +vcc and earth connected after having tested it using the cigar lighter cable.
Nothing would make it work. I could measure 12v on the yellow cable but it still wouldn't start.
So, in desperation I hardwired the permanent 12v as well. And it started to work.
It's that normal?
I had assumed it would/should work with just +vcc and earth?

Earlier models have worked with acc and perm connected together to achieve ign power activation and no battery drain.

Whether that works on the newer units ......... ?

Earlier models have worked with acc and perm connected together to achieve ign power activation and no battery drain.

Whether that works on the newer units ......... ?
Send it does. No way I could get it working with just the +vcc connected.

Am I right in saying that, if hardwiring with the Viofo hardwire kit, that both switched and permanent 12v needs to be connected?
I have just spent ages trying to get it working with just the +vcc and earth connected after having tested it using the cigar lighter cable.
Nothing would make it work. I could measure 12v on the yellow cable but it still wouldn't start.
So, in desperation I hardwired the permanent 12v as well. And it started to work.
It's that normal?
This is fine.
All three wires must be connected correctly: Red=+Battery, Yellow=+ACC and Black=-Ground.

Send it does. No way I could get it working with just the +vcc connected.
The power is always drawn from the +V red wire, return is always via the GND black wire.
The yellow ACC wire is just a signal to say when the car is turned on - if ACC is off then the camera will enter parking mode or turn off depending on settings.

Do not connect both ACC and +V to permanent power, this will disable the low voltage cut off, you can connect them both to switched power via the same fuse tap.

After connection, you may need to turn the ignition on, otherwise it may stay in low voltage cut off state.

The power is always drawn from the +V red wire, return is always via the GND black wire.
The yellow ACC wire is just a signal to say when the car is turned on - if ACC is off then the camera will enter parking mode or turn off depending on settings.

Do not connect both ACC and +V to permanent power, this will disable the low voltage cut off, you can connect them both to switched power via the same fuse tap.

After connection, you may need to turn the ignition on, otherwise it may stay in low voltage cut off state.
Ah that makes sense, thanks.

If you do not need the parking mode, disable it in the menu settings.
Yes, I thought I could set up without parking mode first and wire in the parking mode after I got that working. How wrong was I?
That's a few hours of my life I'm not going to get back

Yes, I thought I could set up without parking mode first and wire in the parking mode after I got that working. How wrong was I?
Don't be upset. Everything will be fine. ;)

I just ordered a A229 and and a hardwire kit. I found this discussion very valuable, so you have my thanks :D!

Fortunately I don't need parking mode.

The normal car setup for decades has been a fairly powerful 12v battery to keep systems powered when idle and retain enough power to crank the starter motor after sometimes a long period of inactivity.

Move forward and my new hybrid car is totally different. It has a high voltage Li-On battery pack used for drive and to periodically fire the engine and a far smaller low AH 12v battery just to keep the required electronic components powered. It does not crank the starter. If I had any additional third party drain on this tiny 12v battery I doubt it would last very long.

Fortunately my V3 works perfectly via a Nextbase 2 wire kit.

It's that normal?
Yes, the switched and permanent 12V cables both need to be connected rightly.

Fortunately I don't need parking mode.

The normal car setup for decades has been a fairly powerful 12v battery to keep systems powered when idle and retain enough power to crank the starter motor after sometimes a long period of inactivity.

Move forward and my new hybrid car is totally different. It has a high voltage Li-On battery pack used for drive and to periodically fire the engine and a far smaller low AH 12v battery just to keep the required electronic components powered. It does not crank the starter. If I had any additional third party drain on this tiny 12v battery I doubt it would last very long.

Fortunately my V3 works perfectly via a Nextbase 2 wire kit.
I've been looking at Viofo A119 V3 since my generation 2 Nextbase 422 gw ( hardwired in) died on me after 2 years, Nextbase tells me it is uneconomical to repair.
Reading your post above have I read correctly that your V3 works on a Nextbase hardwire kit? or possibly theA229 duo (obviously minus the sucker mount}.

If so that would save me the hassle of removing the Nextbase hardwire kit and replacing it with a new Viofo A119 V3 H/W kit

The A119 V3 has a mini USB socket and works perfectly with my old Nextbase HWK I purchased to run my old Nextbase 402, 412 and 380.

I think the newer Viofo models use usb-c so are not compatible.

The A119 V3 has a mini USB socket and works perfectly with my old Nextbase HWK I purchased to run my old Nextbase 402, 412 and 380.

I think the newer Viofo models use usb-c so are not compatible.
Thanks Kremmen, just spent the afternoon researching and I like what I see on the a119 v3 and the price on amazon. Tbh it suits my needs, and the benefit of having the Nextbase hardware kit already on my car will makes things easier.(y)

Can you recommend a viewer that will read/map gps? preferably free but if I have to pay I will....within reason;)

A viewer depends on your needs.

The V3 produces standard .MP4 files so VLC does nicely. If you want to see an attached Google Map to show where you were/are on a map then Dashcam Viewer works perfectly.

If you order the V3 don't forget the CPL and I recommend a 128Gb Samsung Evo Plus but make sure it's sold by Amazon and not a marketplace seller.

A viewer depends on your needs.

The V3 produces standard .MP4 files so VLC does nicely. If you want to see an attached Google Map to show where you were/are on a map then Dashcam Viewer works perfectly.

If you order the V3 don't forget the CPL and I recommend a 128Gb Samsung Evo Plus but make sure it's sold by Amazon and not a marketplace seller.
Thanks Kremmen, Forgot about the cpl, will order that too, at least its not a problem to remove when needed.

I've already got a 128gb Nextbase sd card, I think/hope that should be sufficient.

Should be.

When you get the CPL the long slot goes to the top :)

What you should notice straight away is how neat/discrete and solid the V3 is compared to the stalk mounted Nextbase.

Test mount first by plugging in and sliding round the windscreen before you remove the GPS mount 3M cover film. The V3 is wide angle and I got it wrong in my new car and had to move it as I got the centre cowl in view.

I've no doubt you'll be back for optimal settings

Back