Hardwiring the DVR

kbwang

Reaction score
Country
Singapore
Hi guys. Just order the F500LHD, IF its 5volts, how do I hardwire the DVR?

kbwang said:

Hi kbwang,

The easiest way is to tap the fuse box and extend the 12 volts to a convenient location. You must then terminate it in a cigarette lighter socket (available at auto parts store). This is where you will plug in the normal F500LHD power adapter into. The power adapter that comes with the F500LHD converts 12V input to a 5V output for the dash cam.

The "Hardwiring the camera" Section in the BlackVue DR400G-HD page provides details on how to do this. The only difference is you must purchase the D. Cigarette lighter barrel connector. It is not optional like the BlackVue installation (BlackVue runs on 12V so it can connect directly to the 12V power supply). You cannot cut the power adapter from the F500LHD and connect directly to the fuse box since the voltage difference will cause a problem.

Dash Cam Man

DashCamMan said:
kbwang said:

Hi kbwang,

The easiest way is to tap the fuse box and extend the 12 volts to a convenient location. You must then terminate it in a cigarette lighter socket (available at auto parts store). This is where you will plug in the normal F500LHD power adapter into. The power adapter that comes with the F500LHD converts 12V input to a 5V output for the dash cam.

The "Hardwiring the camera" Section in the BlackVue DR400G-HD page provides details on how to do this. The only difference is you must purchase the D. Cigarette lighter barrel connector. It is not optional like the BlackVue installation (BlackVue runs on 12V so it can connect directly to the 12V power supply). You cannot cut the power adapter from the F500LHD and connect directly to the fuse box since the voltage difference will cause a problem.

Dash Cam Man
I am thinking of gettting this http://dx.com/p/dc-12v-to-dc-5v-convert ... 841?item=8 and tapping it direct on the cigarette lighter fuse...buy any MINI USB cable to power up the DVR.. Do you think it looks ok with the idea?

Last edited by a moderator:
kbwang said:
I am thinking of gettting this http://dx.com/p/dc-12v-to-dc-5v-convert ... 841?item=8 and tapping it direct on the cigarette lighter fuse...buy any MINI USB cable to power up the DVR.. Do you think it looks ok with the idea?

I am not sure that would work. The convertor from 12v to 5v is fine but it states 3 amps. I believe the F500LHD is 1 amp. 3 amps may cause some damage. Also I don't know the quality of that adapter. See this eBay listing for a similar solution. It says it is for GPS devices but if you read the specs, it has a 12v input and 5v, 1A output. The mini USB cable is a bit short at 1.8m though.

The method I suggested is likely the cheapest and safest way to hardwire since it is like installing another cigarette lighter socket in your car. No need for an adapter or long mini usb cable since you just use the power adapter provided with the F500LHD.

Let us know how the installation works out.

Dash Cam Man

DashCamMan said:
kbwang said:

I am not sure that would work. The convertor from 12v to 5v is fine but it states 3 amps. I believe the F500LHD is 1 amp. 3 amps may cause some damage. Also I don't know the quality of that adapter. See this eBay listing for a similar solution. It says it is for GPS devices but if you read the specs, it has a 12v input and 5v, 1A output. The mini USB cable is a bit short at 1.8m though.

The method I suggested is likely the cheapest and safest way to hardwire since it is like installing another cigarette lighter socket in your car. No need for an adapter or long mini usb cable since you just use the power adapter provided with the F500LHD.

Let us know how the installation works out.

Dash Cam Man
The stated 3A is the MAximum of what this converter can churn out..Amperage is the "load". its unlike voltage. Due to the connecting USB mini cable, the standard for such should only be 1A MAX I believe

kbwang said:
The stated 3A is the MAximum of what this converter can churn out..Amperage is the "load". its unlike voltage. Due to the connecting USB mini cable, the standard for such should only be 1A MAX I believe

Hi kbwang,

I would still be careful. One of the main manufacturers of the F500LHD is Transfluent Technology. You can see on their product page for the F500LHD it states: "Warning Using the adaptor amperage over 1A will lead to irreparable damage the device."

Dash Cam Man

DashCamMan said:
kbwang said:

Hi kbwang,

I would still be careful. One of the main manufacturers of the F500LHD is Transfluent Technology. You can see on their product page for the F500LHD it states: "Warning Using the adaptor amperage over 1A will lead to irreparable damage the device."

Dash Cam Man

I interpreted that part as "don't draw more than one amp from the adapter".

You can't normally damage anything by having a bigger capacity supply, the notable exception being constant current LEDs.

Back