Has Anyone Used This Method to Block Reflections?

Anton Sugar

Reaction score
Country
Canada

I have a 70mai A810 and have a major problem with reflections in my footage

I’m going to get a dash mat, but I know that won’t solve the problem 100%

In the above video I found, this guy makes a hinged piece of cardboard that goes from his windshield to the bottom of his camera

It seems to work pretty well, he gets clear footage and the camera only picks up a small corner of the blocker he made

I haven’t had his luck when doing a dry run on my setup, so just wondering if anyone else has done something similar and how it went?

Years ago there was a thread or two on that subject. I think it was in the DIY forum but not sure of that.

In the above video I found, this guy makes a hinged piece of cardboard that goes from his windshield to the bottom of his camera

It seems to work pretty well, he gets clear footage and the camera only picks up a small corner of the blocker he made

I haven’t had his luck when doing a dry run on my setup, so just wondering if anyone else has done something similar and how it went?

They make a CPL filter that fits correctly on to their dashcam A810

Funny thing is I couldn't find a link on their website!
Model # ACC-CPL2

You may already be aware of this but just in case you aren't.
1726103637758.png
1726103271135.png

1726102683662.png

Yes, I remember when this video got posted to the forum.

if you are serious about dash cams and eliminating reflections don't waste your time with this totally bogus method. Several people on the forum have experimented with this method and it just doesn't and can't work. Believe me if it worked as well as the author claims you'd see it prominently discussed and promoted on the forum.

There are numerous problems with this approach.

Firstly, your camera's wide angle lens covers your entire windshield and so in practical terms there is no way a small piece of cardboard will adequately block enough of your dash board across the field of view of the lens to block all the reflections. Despite this guy's claims you can see a lot of reflections in the image and depending on the conditions on any given day it will very likely be worse at other times in different lighting. You can even see a reflection of the what appears to be the back of the camera itself in the video which is highly unusual, or maybe it is just the thing that is supposed to block the reflections. It matters not. The entire image is filled with reflections of various intensity and that's what you need to pay attention to. No self respecting dash cam owner should bother with anything like this.

The only reason this works at all i is because the guy has his camera tilted up towards the sky to the point where it is WAY beyond the 50% sky and 50% road that is universally recommended for aiming your dash cam. Sections of what you would ordinarily wish to capture with a dash cam, especially in the event of a fender bender are not even in the image, like the hood of your car or the fenders for example.

If you want to eliminate windshield reflections without the use of a CPL get yourself a matte black brushed suede dash mat. See THIS post for examples and more info. I can provide links to dash mat suppliers.

reflections.jpg

Last edited:
Back