Have you overheating problems with your dashcam ?

bilan

Reaction score
Country
France
Hello,

Rmq: I post in the 622GW section because I bought one this week, but it could concern other models.

We have a blackvue DR900-2CH and we wanted to try another brand for our new second car. After unpacking and playing a bit with the dashcam in front of my computer I quickly felt that the device was very hot.
So I've looked on internet if it was something "normal" and I've found this forum: On this nextbase category I've found a lot of posts with the word "overheating"

I also found this "pro" review: https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/nextbase-622gw-dashcam-review/ where the guy mentions he got this problem too

On Amazon there are several negative customer reviews about overheating and/or freezing ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/B08CVN4CVD )

So can you confirm it's a frequent and known problem with nexbase products ? I'm not leaving in a Scandinavian country so maybe it is better to look for another brand ?

Best regards,

Welcome to the forum bilan

I would not go with nextbase as it is my understanding all of their cameras use a lipo battery, and those are no good with high temperatures, and i would assume Thailand have those.
I am not familiar with the nextbase brand, but them overheating in regular use i dont think are a issue, at least not something i have noticed much in here.
But trying to do parking guard, that will happen with any dashcam in a hot place, as after all electronics all have a MAX operating temperature.
If you are in Thailand you should only consider dashcams with capacitors for emergency power.

Funny OT information, your chosen nickname bilan, in Swedish that mean "the car" :)

Hello,

I'm sending it back. This overheating is scary. Also, the player software of BV isn't very good but the nextbase one is even worse.

The icing on the cake: I ordered a package with the front camera + the cabin view camera. Well.. I thought it was the cabin view camera as we saw it on some YouTube channels. But it's a "rear view camera" !? And both look alike. :(
(Here you can see the 3 cameras, cabin view, rear view, and rear window ).

Now I don't know what to buy. Maybe another BV. :unsure: I've seen they also have a cabin view camera.
But BV are quite expensive.

This is a good 3 channel camera also with cabin view.

Thks, you make me discovering this brand that I didn't know.

I was the same years ago.

All the UK magazines rated Nextbase (still do) and I accepted the footage and had 3 models as newer ones were introduced.

At the time the 402 was OK

The 412 had better resolution but I noticed the parked windscreen wipers vibrating. I also had an issue fitting the 412 as the stalk mount didn't have enough movement so I had little sky and loads of dash.

The 380 mount design was brilliant, no vibration, but, no CPL and very poor resolution. Never mind reading number plates of oncoming cars I often had difficulty reading number plates of overtaking cars.

In an effort to find the best of both worlds I found the Viofo A119 series. Never looked back.

Thks, you make me discovering this brand that I didn't know.
I'm not sure how hot it gets in Thailand, but if you really want a camera for hot weather and with an internal camera, consider the Viofo A129 Duo IR. It is only FHD resolution, so maybe not what you are looking for, but it will cope with almost any temperature. If you want 2K resolution then I'm sure the A139 will do better with heat than the T130, and it is a very nice dashcam.

I could definitely give it a try, indeed. I was watching this video
, the guy compares a Blackvue DR900S-2CH vs Viofo A129.
I always thought BV were the cream of the dashcam (explaining why they also are the most expensive) but this video almost makes me regret my purchase :cautious:

I could definitely give it a try, indeed. I was watching this video
I don't recommend the Viofo A129 Pro for the heat, the rest of the Viofo range are pretty good and some are very good, but the A129 Pro is built for image quality over heat. Having said that, it is unlikely to give up while driving, but I guess in Thailand may be too hot to start up after being parked in the heat until you have blown the aircon over it for a while, and you can only do that if you have aircon. The FHD (1080) resolution cameras cope with heat best, followed by the 2K A119 V3, but that is only 1 channel.

Back