HDR on, at day and/or night?

mentadent

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
VIOFO A139, VIOFO A139 Pro, VIOFO A119 Mini 2, VIOFO A229...
Should I have HDR turned on at night, and in the day? I am particularly interested in capturing licence plates clearly.

I have no personal experience with this viofo model, but it seem like PPL prefer to run it without HDR in the daytime.
A bit counter-intuitive for me, but thats how i understand it.

Should I have HDR turned on at night, and in the day?
I see these types of questions continually in the comment section of every dash cam review I watch on YouTube.

“What are the best settings for this dash cam?”
“What is the best resolution setting for my dash cam?”
“Should I set the dash cam to 30fps, or 60fps?”
“If I have tinted windows, should I use a CPL Filter?”
“How badly does the CPL Filter degrade image quality at night?”

Everyone has a different application / vehicle / driving schedule.
The only way to confirm, and verify the best settings is to film your own test footage, and compare it side by side with your own eyeballs.
This takes time, effort, wasting gasoline driving around, and then spending hours of time downloading footage to your computer / smartphone to visually analyze it.
Sorry for the rant.

Oh yeah, I never actually answered your question. Lol
If you are unwilling, or unable to perform all the time wasting procedures to determine the best settings for your camera I will give you my general answer
based on all the dash cams I’ve tested over the past 4 years.
Again keep in mind this is a generalization, and you may find it to be false & misleading when applied to your specific application.

HDR Usage: Night Time & Low Light Only (no daytime use).

...Everyone has a different application / vehicle / driving schedule.
The only way to confirm, and verify the best settings is to film your own test footage, and compare it side by side with your own eyeballs...
This is the only correct answer.

Back