Heat killed dvr

Sabe

Reaction score
Country
Finland
Dash Cam
G90, GT300W, Mobius A, C
Here's one thing you might try if your gs1000 (or other) dvr die in car because of heat.
I did this because i had nothing to lose, my gs1000 stopped working one day when we had 29C heat wave for several days, all i had left was one red led light.
I know that some people fix computer motherboards in home oven with heat, and i thought that might help.
I stripped camera to parts, removed cmos board and display unit from main pcb.
Then i removed all stickers because oven must be heated to 200 celcius so regular plastic will burn. Basic components can take that heat, like plastic and metal connectors, regular wires (jump wires) will melt if they touch something.
Whatever you put in oven, don't put battery, lens, and lens base in there, they will be destroyed there.

First i put main pcb in oven at 200C for 8 minutes like instructed somewhere. That didn't work fully, all i got was "unrecognized usb device" when i plugged it in to pc.
Then i put it in oven again, 210 C this time and 10+ minutes and big wonder happend, camera was recognized in computer.
I flashed camera again and now it's working like nothing has happened.
So, if heat kills your camera why don't try this if warranty is over.
Only time will tell how long this works, but this is better than nothing.
Dsc04606.jpg

jokiin said:
Sabe said:
one day when we had 29C heat wave for several days

last summer we hit highs of 47c in Australia, I'd hate to think how long your dashcam would last there

Well, if it ever gets to 200C then camera will repair itself :lol:

Sabe said:
jokiin said:
Sabe said:
one day when we had 29C heat wave for several days

last summer we hit highs of 47c in Australia, I'd hate to think how long your dashcam would last there

Well, if it ever gets to 200C then camera will repair itself :lol:

hope not, our PC boards are good for 320c though so at least something will live through the apocalypse :P

BTW, i have two of those from same dealer, 6 moths between. Both have same Samoon 5E5 board, but older have hynix memory and newer have samsung memory.
For some reason newer have weaker image, but i don't know is it just adjusted out of focus.

Sabe said:
BTW, i have two of those from same dealer, 6 moths between. Both have same Samoon 5E5 board, but older have hynix memory and newer have samsung memory.
For some reason newer have weaker image, but i don't know is it just adjusted out of focus.

could easily be the focus, the may have changed some hardware as well though, swap the lenses between the two if you're keen

you can refocus the lens if you want to carefully break away the glob of glue they put on the lens thread, connect the camera to a TV when you're adjusting it for best results, the larger the TV the easier it will be to determine the focus

jokiin said:
you can refocus the lens if you want to carefully break away the glob of glue they put on the lens thread, connect the camera to a TV when you're adjusting it for best results, the larger the TV the easier it will be to determine the focus

Must do that some day, it is very annoying to know that image could be better, but it's not.

Sabe said:
jokiin said:

Must do that some day, it is very annoying to know that image could be better, but it's not.

it can happen, the focus is done by hand and user error is always a possibility

Back