Help me choose a dashcam setup!

apple

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I've been considering a dashcam for a long while now and after a few close calls decided i really ought to get one

the requirements for the camera are as follows:

1) an install and forget camera - one which once installed, i only have to review footage after an incident
2) either a dual channel setup or two seperate cameras (one for front and one for rear)
3) reasonably high resolution - high enough to be able to read a number plate during motorway traffic

what would you gurus reccomend?

whoops

budget around £50-100 per camera but of course, a good trade off between value and performance is preferred!

I recommend that you first decide budget, then form-factor, then see what cams meet those criteria while giving you the features you seek. No cam is truly "install and forget"; you need to occasionally pull the SD card to make sure the cam is still recording properly and in time the card will develop bad sectors so it will need replacement. You should also check the security of the mount and clean the lens occasionally too. This is the same for every dashcam.

There is no "best" cam, rather there are good and bad choices you can make ;) Different user needs and requirements, how discreet the install needs to be, the car it's going into, what the temperature extremes the cam will be exposed to are, and the budget limit which all come into play here. Your best bet is to think all that through and read the forums specific to the cam's you are considering- the more you know the better the choice you'll make. We can help you with choices but we'll need that same info to narrow things down.

The only real "rule" of dashcams is to avoid those below a certain level of quality, reputation, and resolution then to buy it from only reputable sellers as fakes abound.

Phil

+1.
I'd add dealer's reputation. Service. Before and after sales.
Savings when buying cheap is no saving when it's unreliable, no aftersales service and a total lost if you have to throw it away.

Back