Help using/understading clips and loops

JimGunther

Reaction score
Country
United States
This Mobius deal is a great invention but, much like my computer, I probably - because of lack of in-depth knowledge - use 1/10% of its power.

How and why does one configure the device to record (for example) clips of say 10 minutes length? Is it so one can edit or find a particular "incident" easier. (I have NOT used clips, so, I end up with hours long files).

I'm about to take a pretty long road trip (and would like to document it), so, would like to configure in best manner.

Do I need to select the "Looping" option or will it AUTOMATICALLY record 6 - 10 minute clip an hour until the SD Card is full? Is the transition from recording one clip to the next, essentially, seamless?

Lastly, is there a way to set up recording and saving so that each clip has a unique file name (i.e. date and time combination seems most logical). If not, is there a limit to the number of file names (i.e. MOV1 through MOV99 or MON999 or MOV9999) that will save without overwriting?

One last simple question: How many hours can be captured on each 32 gig card?

How and why does one configure the device to record (for example) clips of say 10 minutes length? Is it so one can edit or find a particular "incident" easier. (I have NOT used clips, so, I end up with hours long files).

Enable Loop Recording via the Windows GUI. Clip length choice is 3 or 5 minutes.

Do I need to select the "Looping" option or will it AUTOMATICALLY record 6 - 10 minute clip an hour until the SD Card is full? Is the transition from recording one clip to the next, essentially, seamless?

In Loop Record Mode, the oldest clips will be overwritten one by one when the card is full. There's a 1 second overlap between files.

Lastly, is there a way to set up recording and saving so that each clip has a unique file name (i.e. date and time combination seems most logical). If not, is there a limit to the number of file names (i.e. MOV1 through MOV99 or MON999 or MOV9999) that will save without overwriting?

The file naming convention is REC_0001, REC_0002, etc. If the file name counter exceeds 9999 then a new folder is created, & the file numbering starts again from REC_0001. This convention cannot be changed.

One last simple question: How many hours can be captured on each 32 gig card?

Around 4 hours 30 minutes at the Standard Data Rate Setting.

Last edited:

To add to Russ's excellent post, another important reason to limit the length of clips is to keep the files to a manageable size for transferring and editing. And yes, it is also easier to find a particular incident. Sometimes when I'm out on the road and something happens that I'd like to review later, I'll make a mental note of the time of the incident, write it down or occasionally speak the time and nature of the event into a little voice recorder I carry with me on most days. When I get home I can easily see the time each clip was recorded and having smaller clips facilitates finding the moment I'm looking for.

Back