Help with power provided power cable solution

essigb

Reaction score
Country
United States
Forgive me for being the noob about cables. Here is my issue. I just received my A229 and I mocked everything up in my truck before I did anything more permanent. The charging cable that came with it is not 4m like previous models seem to have listed. The A229 cable measures 3.5 meters. The half meter is pretty much what I need to make it all work. This is a usb c type cable and its a 20awg. Would a longer cable at a real 4-5 meters still be ok or is this going to be an issue of the cable being too long for the power to properly get through it? I feel like a little longer at 20awg it should be fine, but I am no cable gauge expert. I'm also not sure if that is a universal gauge for usb c. When trying to find answers about longer cables they are all for other models with micro usb and the wire gauges were 28 and longer recomendations were like 24. This is a whole new item and I don't seem to have anything search for.

Alternatively - I could purchase the hardwire/fuse box kit, and avoid this altogether. I just figured I would see what options I have with the usb c charging cable first. But if you all don't think its worth the hassle and the hardwire kit is worth the extra effort, I will go that route.

Welcome to the forum essigb.
You could also extend the power cable at the 12 V end, with a male to female 12 V plug extender ( assuming such a thing exist )
Alternative you could also get a female 12 V socket and wire that into a fuse to keep the dash socket free for other things.

As i test a lot of cameras i have two 3 way 12 V splitters in my glove box ( hard wired )

A male to female USB C extension wire could probably also be used, though i have never tried to extend a USB wire for a dashcam or any PC devise, i did once use a long USB A to mini USB wire to power a camera in the rear from the front of my little car, but this was a disaster and made me miss / not record myself getting rear ended.

So i am not big on extending the USB wire itself, though it could probably be done not least since you only need 1 M / a few feet.

Thanks. I will see what I can find to extend my length.

I can say that my hardwire option is option is out and I need to update my OP. My fuse box is in my engine compartment and not inside the cabin like I originally thought.

Forgive me for being the noob about cables. Here is my issue. I just received my A229 and I mocked everything up in my truck before I did anything more permanent. The charging cable that came with it is not 4m like previous models seem to have listed. The A229 cable measures 3.5 meters. The half meter is pretty much what I need to make it all work. This is a usb c type cable and its a 20awg. Would a longer cable at a real 4-5 meters still be ok or is this going to be an issue of the cable being too long for the power to properly get through it? I feel like a little longer at 20awg it should be fine, but I am no cable gauge expert. I'm also not sure if that is a universal gauge for usb c. When trying to find answers about longer cables they are all for other models with micro usb and the wire gauges were 28 and longer recomendations were like 24. This is a whole new item and I don't seem to have anything search for.

Alternatively - I could purchase the hardwire/fuse box kit, and avoid this altogether. I just figured I would see what options I have with the usb c charging cable first. But if you all don't think its worth the hassle and the hardwire kit is worth the extra effort, I will go that route.
I’m currently using this $10 (5 meter) Type-C cable to power my A119 Mini with no issues;
https://www.amazon.com/gp/B08V8Q3SZ5-
This Mini’s MAX power consumption is around 5 Watts.
The 229’s MAX power consumption is around 6 Watts.

I bought this cable just in case the Mini ends up on my rear window.
For $10 it might be worth the risk.
Just try it out before you run the cable under paneling.
Turn lcd screen on, wi-fi on, and try to download a clip to your smartphone, or view the camera recording with the live stream on smartphone.
-Chuck

Last edited:
12.6v ?

I thought USB was rated at 5v so needs a step down transformer as supplied ?

12.6v ?

I thought USB was rated at 5v so needs a step down transformer as supplied ?
Opps, I did it again.
Please forgive me. lol
I changed milliamps to Watts.
-Chuck

I'm the OP - So I ended up drilling a hole in my console and taking apart some pieces on my dash to run the wire and that gave me the extra length I needed. What a process!!!

Thanks for all the advice however.

That is also a option, but many dont like that.
Personally i dont mind as long as it is not right in the middle of the dash or console i have to drill a hole ( though i have done that ), also depend on the ride, and while i had my car since new in 2012, it is just a little POS car and to me just a mean to not walk / bicycle or take public transport, if it was one of my dream cars, and so most likely a nice vintage car, then going that route would probably be impossible to me.
Even if there are some vintage cars i would like to own, and not keep quite original, cuz i would want to put a Merlin plane engine into it, and so i might also need to put on another braking and handling package,,,, and maybe NIX some door handles ASO Chip Foose style.

PS. When i got my car, i couldn't figure out how to take apart the center console to put in a car radio, so i just drove to the dealer and asked, and they got a guy to show me in 1 minute, and i was good to go.

PPS. In the old days it would take me a hour to install a single camera on the windscreen, now i can put a 3 channel system in the car in 15 minutes, providing i dont have to install a new hard wire kit ( have 2 installed one Viofo and one Street Guardian )
Actually today i could probably do it blindfolded in 1 hour,,,,, as i have done it so many times by now.

Back