Hi/lo video clips

Joe Peddos

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have tried viewing the video clips on my laptop the Lo version runs smoothly but when I view the Hi version its very jerky as I have just got my first Nextbase 412GW I am just getting used to it so have changed no settings
yet.
I got it from Halfords with a package that included a Nextbase Sandisk Ultra 16GB micro SD card Class 10 a U shape with a 1 in it and upto 80MB/s
Should I change to a slightly lower setting Joe

Welcome @Joe Peddos

What processor is on the computer?

How are you playing the files? Through the USB cable or by inserting the SD card into the computer directly?

Are you using Replay 3 ?

Welcome @Joe Peddos

What processor is on the computer?

How are you playing the files? Through the USB cable or by inserting the SD card into the computer directly?

Are you using Replay 3 ?

Hi Tiffany I have a laptop with Intel Pentium dual CPU T3400@2.16Hz
Playing files through SD card directly into computer
I was having some file transfer problems have reset to show all files using Replay 3 version 3.4.1
Using VLC medium player version 2.2.6 Umbrella Joe

I always copy/paste the video files to the comp hard drive. Yes it can take ages but worth it.

I was using VLC as the newer units use .mov H.264 format but VLC isn't producing the same quality as Windows Media Player so I installed the K-lite codec pack and now is all AOK.

I have tried viewing the video clips on my laptop the Lo version runs smoothly but when I view the Hi version its very jerky as I have just got my first Nextbase 412GW I am just getting used to it so have changed no settings
yet.
I got it from Halfords with a package that included a Nextbase Sandisk Ultra 16GB micro SD card Class 10 a U shape with a 1 in it and upto 80MB/s
Should I change to a slightly lower setting Joe

Don't know if this will help, I recently bought a 512 gw too from Halfords, I got a Samsung card with it from the same shop, I was getting the same jerky playback. I had a spare Sandisk 64 gb class 10 for my stills camera so I tried that but still got jerky playback, after some reading on the net I came acros several articles that Sandisk doesn't play nicely with some dashcams, something to do with the write speed.
I purchased a Transcend High Endurance card as it is designed with dashcams and cctv cameras in mind and now the jerkiness has gone.
Playback is a lot smoother, not perfect but a helluva lot better, I've come to the conclusion that dashcams no matter how good a reputation Nextbase or any other brand has you get what you pay for. If top notch high end quality is what your after then you need to spend a good bit more than a 100 odd quid.

I always copy/paste the video files to the comp hard drive. Yes it can take ages but worth it.

I was using VLC as the newer units use .mov H.264 format but VLC isn't producing the same quality as Windows Media Player so I installed the K-lite codec pack and now is all AOK.

Hi Kremmen I have followed your suggestion and downloaded the K-Lite codec pack and used Windows Media Player a vast improvement playing Hi Video clips but still a little jerky. When I have saved some pennies :) I will try Auld Reekie's suggestion of a Transcend High Endurance Card. On the SD card I got the packaging does say the card is for use with all Nextbase Dash Cams Joe

Update have transferred Hi Video clip to hard drive right clicked it and opened it with MPC-HC judder is almost nonexistent dafinately better than using the windows player :)

Last edited:
It's always better to download the footage to the HDD if you want the best quality. Trying to play via a cable/sd/unit is going to introduce a bottleneck.

Also, on a laptop, that hasn't got a dedicated graphics card will push the onboard graphics on a low power machine.

It's always better to download the footage to the HDD if you want the best quality. Trying to play via a cable/sd/unit is going to introduce a bottleneck.

Also, on a laptop, that hasn't got a dedicated graphics card will push the onboard graphics on a low power machine.

Sadly my laptop is pretty old so I have probably got the best replay I am going to get running a Hi vid clip. Thanks for the help Joe

Hi Tiffany I have a laptop with Intel Pentium dual CPU T3400@2.16Hz
Playing files through SD card directly into computer
I was having some file transfer problems have reset to show all files using Replay 3 version 3.4.1
Using VLC medium player version 2.2.6 Umbrella Joe
This will be why the Hi resolution files are jerky, the 1440p along with the metadata needs a relatively powerful computer to get the best experience.

To check this do you want to send us in a test file that you’ve confirmed is jerky, we’ll test on our computer to see if the fault persists. You can send it in via www.wetransfer.com using our support@nextbase.co.uk as the recipient.

Thanks for the files! I have downloaded and checked on my computer here and its jerky, after checking the frames its 25/second not 30/second. What card are you using? Can you check the properties of all your files to see if they're the same?

Thanks for the files! I have downloaded and checked on my computer here and its jerky, after checking the frames its 25/second not 30/second. What card are you using? Can you check the properties of all your files to see if they're the same?

Hi Tiffany I am in the process of sending you a new video file but have checked the properties Length 2.09 minutes Frame width 2560 Frame Height 1440 Total bit rate 27636 kbps Frame rate 30 hope this information helps. I think the last clip may have been a bit chewed up but it ran fine on the 123 film viewer but was very blotchy on the other players. Joe

Great thank you once received I will take a look.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S 412GW 4
Back