High Pitched Scream

Raisin

Reaction score
Country
Canada
New 0803 from Spytecinc. Goes into a sort of 'loop' where it emits a high pitched pulsating scream. Unit is locked up, cannot reset. If dismounted and left for a while, the battery goes flat and it can be started again.
Unit is very hot. Can use it only for half an hour before this starts.
I have a 0801 to compare it to. Have switched them out, swapped cards, used it different mounts in different cars.
0801 fine, 0803 not.

Never heard a scream. yet.
And havent had a freeze once it has started up.

I know there is a startup freeze, which is a well known common fault on the mini 0803, which gives a continuous "ding ding ding" sound and unit freezes.
The unit can be reset in this case, but you have to keep the power button pressed for around 15 seconds.

I know there is a startup freeze, which is a well known common fault on the mini 0803, which gives a continuous "ding ding ding" sound and unit freezes.
Mine did that once, I had it plugged into the laptop via usb and unplugged it without switching the cam off first. I don't do that now it it hasn't done it again.

Frank

If it does continue to happen, try re-flashing the firmware.

Kelvin

Thanks for the feedback.
Your description of the "ding, ding, ding" sounds like it. I talked to SpyTecInc customer service. They had not heard of this problem and they issued me an RMA.
Do you think I am wasting my time getting it replaced? Am able to carry on through this problem by resetting it each time?

Error in my last sentence: "Am I able to carry on by resetting it?

Error in my last sentence: "Am I able to carry on by resetting it?

Yes, in my case (startup freeze), after the reset, the camera works normally.
But if you are seeing this freeze during driving, causing to you lose live recordings, then I would say, then its much worse and better RMA it.

Had that once when I first got mine. As the others have said, it seemed to have to do with having it plugged in and charging and removing it without turning it off. I held down the power button for what seemed like an eternity, though was likely only the 15 seconds or so referred to above. Applied latest firmware (may be unrelated) and haven't had the problem since. Works like a charm.

Thanks for the input.
Mine seemed to do it more often than others that I have heard from.
I sent it back to SpyTec for an RMA replacement. Hopefully, I will get a better one next time.
I still swear by my 0801 though. It's never failed me.

Received a warranty replacement units three weeks ago. So far, so good.

Warranty replacement has been working well for six weeks. Still runs hot though.

My 0803 has also started doing this, three times now in the past week, only when wife drives. It goes into spaz mode, emitting a high-pitched scream. The only solution is to remove it from its mount and to hold in the power button for about 15 seconds.

Current firmware is 20140620 V1.2.

I'm here to find the latest firmware. Hope it solves the problem.

My 0803 has also started doing this, three times now in the past week, only when wife drives. It goes into spaz mode, emitting a high-pitched scream. The only solution is to remove it from its mount and to hold in the power button for about 15 seconds.

Current firmware is 20140620 V1.2.

I'm here to find the latest firmware. Hope it solves the problem.
Does it always do it when the engine is being started, or at random times?

Does it always do it when the engine is being started, or at random times?
Nigel, I got the 0803 in July (plus another dozen for family and friends) from Shenzhen Meg Technology in PRC. My wife's out at the mo but will ask her when it happened. The first time it happened she called me saying "there's something wrong with the car; it's making a high-pitched screeching sound!". I rushed down on the bike and immediately found it was the 0803.

I've just blown in the latest firmware, so let's hope all is cured.

Nigel, I got the 0803 in July (plus another dozen for family and friends) from Shenzhen Meg Technology in PRC. My wife's out at the mo but will ask her when it happened. The first time it happened she called me saying "there's something wrong with the car; it's making a high-pitched screeching sound!". I rushed down on the bike and immediately found it was the 0803.

I've just blown in the latest firmware, so let's hope all is cured.
Normally it happens when the starter is operated while the camera is booting on cars where operating the starter cuts the power to other circuits. Maybe your wife waits a second between turning on the ignition and starting the engine, or at least does something with a different timing to you. Doubt the firmware update will cure it if it is a starting issue. Let us know what you find...

Back