Higher Output Battery Options

Slow63

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi Guys,

I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction for a higher output battery, something that can do 5Amp @ 12-14v. Initially I looked at something like the Cellink's/BlackVue, and Power Core, however I've found that these all top at 2Amp output with a 2.5Amp internal fuse.

I did think about using the Li USB power banks, since some of the bigger ones (Anker) are ratted for 60w+, but found that these are not ideal.

So are there any LifePo battery packs available from somewhere reputable, that can do passthrough charge, is suitable for car environment and can do at least 5Amp @12-14v. Charge rate is not important.

I guess there is no simple angers.

So how are people running multiple cameras that they would like run via battery?

I looked at something like the Cellink's/BlackVue, and Power Core, however I've found that these all top at 2Amp output with a 2.5Amp internal fuse...

So are there any LifePo battery packs available from somewhere reputable, that can do passthrough charge, is suitable for car environment and can do at least 5Amp @12-14v.

The only companies I know of that make batteries (power banks) specifically intended to extend dascham parking mode duration are Egen from South Korea (which has their own Cellink line of batteries, as well as being I believe the OEM for ThinkWare, BlackVue, and BlackBoxMyCar) and Power Core from the UK.

If those companies' batteries don't provide enough current for your needs (though I question this - see below), you might have to look at general-purpose LiFePO4 power banks, for instance from US brands like Zendure, or Chinese brands like Beaudens, Bluetti or Ctechi. Many of these offer higher current outputs, but I don't know how reliable they are.

So how are people running multiple cameras that they would like run via battery?

Dashcams in "buffered" parking mode typically consume 1-2W per channel, i.e. ~0.1-0.2A at 12V. Ditto cameras in "low-bitrate" parking mode. So, on the 2A outputs of the Egen & Power Core batteries you mentioned above, you could potentially run 10-20 channels before you hit the current limit. That's more than enough channels for accident-recording purposes!

ThinkWare cameras in energy-saving parking mode can be as low as ~0.2W per channel, i.e. <0.05A at 12V. So, with those cameras you could potentially run closer to 40 channels!

So, it seems unlikely in reality that a 2A output limit at ~12V would be a problem for you.

Last edited:
Back