Hiring someone to hardwire my dashcam

STrooper25

Reaction score
Country
United States
In the process of evaluating and soon will be buying a dashcam with parking mode that I'll want hardwired. I'm not handy and I don't trust myself to do it. I called a local stereo install shop and I about threw up when he quoted me $500 to install cameras they sell.

What's my best course of action here? Is it worth calling around to local mechanics? I'm installing this in a new car...think if I find a tech on his smoke break at my dealership I could get him to do it at a reasonable price? Any other tips or suggestions?

I'm in the Washington DC area if it matters and will be installing it in a Hyundai Santa Fe.

$500 just for an install is nuts. I payed $250 for the install of a two camera setup since I didn't want to be messing with airbag trim on a brand new car. I checked with three different installers in my area and they were all close in price. It was DEFINITELY worth my time actually visiting those installers to decide, I could tell right away which ones were professionals and which ones were borderline hacks.

One guy obviously never did any installs with an external battery. I asked him if he was familiar with the Powercell 8, he said he was but was very confused about how it got hooked up.
Seeing high end luxury cars in a parking lot with a waiting list also helped me decide.

Last edited:
Back