HK3-C

Bossky

Reaction score
Country
Poland
Hi, few questions about HK3:

1) the dash cam always gets power from the battery line - red wire (also in parking mode) and the yellow wire is only for acc detection?

2) 7.5A fuses can be used with fuse taps or they have to be 5A?

3) Because of difficult access to main camera buttons I wonder if I could add a switch to the HK3 battery cable (between HK3 red cable and the fuse tap).

The problem is I don't need parking mode when I leave car in my garage, but need it when car is on the street next to the garage (so geofencing is not enough in this situation).
Is it going to be a problem for A139 when I cut the power by the switch? Will it normally start with all the functions when I turn the switch on? Will it loose any settings or recorded videos?
In other words: will the switch work same as holding power button?

1: yes
2. i use 5 A fuse, and actually i have 2 dual channel systems on those fuses ( one SG one Viofo )
3. you can just long press the power button that will override parking guard and turn off the camera, doing that the camera will just act normal on the next start.

Thank you for your answer
i use 5 A fuse, and actually i have 2 dual channel systems on those fuses ( one SG one Viofo )
You mean in the same time two hardwire kits with the same two fuses?

I think about the on/off switch mounted next to the driver's seat and i find it much easier to use than long pressing the power button behind the mirror 2-3 times every day.
I just wonder if i can cut the power like that or maybe the dash cam needs time to close system, etc.

You can wire the switch as desired. The camera's super capacitors will keep the cam powered to close the file before turning off.

Yes i just have tapped into 2 fuses one always on 12 V and one ACC 12 V, but i have 2 hard wire kits connected to those, the HK3-C and the Street guardian hard wire kit.
You can also go the switch route if you like, just a bit unusual but it should still be fine too, only downside is you have to turn it back on for your next drive, things being automatic being one of the prime features of dashcams so you do not forget to turn the camera on if you had to do so yourself.

I do only use parking guard on one system at the time, and just 1 hour on the timer as that is all i need in general. Both kits are set to 12.2 V cut off.

I an thinking about changing to quick connects so in the future getting other systems to test i dont have to start up the soldering iron.

The Street guardian system the SG9663DR have a wired remote button to use as event button with a short press, a little longer press turn on / off wifi, and finally a really long press turn the camera off, so no reatching for that button on the "hidden" main unit of the dual remote system.

Thank you very much

only downside is you have to turn it back on for your next drive
So it won't work when getting into my garage I just turn the switch off for a while and on again before engine stop working?
Won't it be emulation of a long press of the power key on the camera?

Well with the switch you do it the rough way so to say, the long press of the camera power button are a more easy override of the parking guard feature, so everything will be normal when you start the car the next day
If you use the switch then you just need to remember to turn it on, if it is before or after you have started the car i dont think matter.
If you put the switch on the always on wire, that cut off the operating voltage and nothing happen with the witch is off.
Putting the switch on the ACC wire, if the switch is off there will be no signal to come on or change to parking mode even if the working supply of the always on 12 V wire is there

I can pull the USB plug from my A139 when i get home to also not have it go into parking mode, i also think if i put back the plug after the car have turned off the camera will not awake and go into parking guard again.
But i will have to test this to be sure.

If the car is running and i pull the plug the camera of course turn off, but if i put it back in the camera will also start to record again, but that is with the car running and so power on the ACC wire.

If the car is running and i pull the plug the camera of course turn off, but if i put it back in the camera will also start to record again, but that is with the car running and so power on the ACC wire.
Yes but you pull all 3 cables and then put them back, and I'm talking about doing it with the red wire only.
When the engine is on, pulling the red cable (other cables stay connected) and putting it back make the cam to switch off and then on immediately, instead of turning off till the next engine start?

I could do some experimenting i have a variable PSU and a spare HK3-C kit and also the remnants of the A139 that got vandalized in the break into my car in January.

I could do some experimenting i have a variable PSU and a spare HK3-C kit and also the remnants of the A139 that got vandalized in the break into my car in January.
Thanks a lot. I appreciate

Yes but you pull all 3 cables and then put them back, and I'm talking about doing it with the red wire only.
When the engine is on, pulling the red cable (other cables stay connected) and putting it back make the cam to switch off and then on immediately, instead of turning off till the next engine start?
If you switch the red wire off and then back on the camera will just restart. If engine on as stated as Acc will still be on. To keep it off you need to keep the red wire off until you next want the camera to work
Edited:
I assumed (wrongly) that with both 12V and acc off, restoring 12V would put it into parking mode.
Tested on my A139 and it seems once it drops to parking mode (so acc off) if I pull the 12V it turns off, restore it the camera boots back up in normal recording for a few minutes then shuts down and cannot be turned back on even with the button until acc is back on.

Last edited:
If the voltage is applied only to the red wire, and the yellow one is de-energized, the DVR will not turn on.

This applies to the HK3 from Viofo. HK3 from other firms may work differently.

Last edited:
For some years now I've had a number of cams powered through a switch. It's become so much habit to use that switch that it's automatic for me now- I don't even think about it- but with those and all my other cams I do look to ensure they're booting up correctly before I drive away :cool: Switching only the "batt" wire will result as Nigel says; the cam won't start again until the HWK sees power on the "acc" wire too. Another benefit of having such a switch is that with it off, there's no longer any 'standby' power being used by the HWK though that's tiny anyway. Even a 7.5A fuse is probably OK but 2A to 5A is a far safer choice and easy to find anywhere so stay in that range.

Phil

In my car, constant voltage goes from the battery through the fuse, first to the switch, and from the switch to the red wire HK3.
It has already become a habit to turn on and check the start of the DVRs before the first start of the car. So the additional switch is not annoying.

Back