hot pixels on new unit

vortigos

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a new A119 (purchased on amazon December '16) that I finally setup and now notice that I have the dreaded hot pixels at night time (7 of them) on my recordings. This is in addition to a stuck white pixel on the camera's lcd, which I can live with. These hot pixels, however, are annoying, and I'd like to fix them, but it sounds like from other threads on here that getting to the engineering menu requires downgrading the firmware (I'm on 2.02), and that the recommended fix doesn't seem to work for most people. Is my only other option to contact spytec and get a warranty replacement that might end up being a crappy refurb?

is it possible to downgrade the firmware when the bootloader is different ?

because the bootloader is not the same between firmware 1.x and firmware 2.x

is it possible to downgrade the firmware when the bootloader is different ?

because the bootloader is not the same between firmware 1.x and firmware 2.x
I don't think that's an issue. The new bootloader was to accommodate an update to the SDK I believe. It should be backwards compatible.

I have a new A119 (purchased on amazon December '16) that I finally setup and now notice that I have the dreaded hot pixels at night time (7 of them) on my recordings. This is in addition to a stuck white pixel on the camera's lcd, which I can live with. These hot pixels, however, are annoying, and I'd like to fix them, but it sounds like from other threads on here that getting to the engineering menu requires downgrading the firmware (I'm on 2.02), and that the recommended fix doesn't seem to work for most people. Is my only other option to contact spytec and get a warranty replacement that might end up being a crappy refurb?
Are you absolutely sure Spy Tec will send you a refurbished replacement? That's not good at all, hope you are wrong. I'm going to question that on their chat.

I contacted Spy Tec and you should not worry , they are a reliable Seller....... Me: Can you tell me if what I heard on dash cam talk forum is true> Someone said that if they sent back a A119 defective and wanted a replacement under the one year warranty Spy Tec would send them back a refurbished cam and not a brand new one. Can you tell me if this is your policy

Just a moment...

Jay: One moment, please. I am checking this information for you.

Me: ok

Jay: Not true, we will send a brand new device for replacement.

Me: ok Jay I will go back and post that.

Jay: Sure! Thank you.
typing.gif

Last edited:
I can confirm this personally having had to use a warranty with them on a different cam. SpyTec are the kind of people you want to do business with- they go well above and beyond the norms to make sure you're happy :D

Phil

Thanks for all the replies. Spytec says in their warranty materials that they will provide a "new or refurbished unit." So it's possible that they use refurbs. The good news is that I did a long night drive yesterday (2 hrs), and the hot pixels have disappeared. Not sure why this happened, as I still have the original video showing them just two days ago. But I'm glad they seem to be gone now.

...The good news is that I did a long night drive yesterday (2 hrs), and the hot pixels have disappeared. Not sure why this happened, as I still have the original video showing them just two days ago. But I'm glad they seem to be gone now.
I had/have a similar experience with an SG9665GC. Updated the firmware some time back and that caused the factory 'hot pixel mapping' to be destroyed and a few started to show in my video captures.

I've since determined that as the camera warms up the hot pixels disappear. Also, the colder the ambient temperature when the camera first starts up the longer the hot pixels are apparent before they go away. I've had private conversations with @jokiin about this and he's confirmed 'they can come and go' in seemingly random fashion.

I have videos of the 'disappearing act' as it happens if anyone is interested.

Thanks for all the replies. Spytec says in their warranty materials that they will provide a "new or refurbished unit." So it's possible that they use refurbs. The good news is that I did a long night drive yesterday (2 hrs), and the hot pixels have disappeared. Not sure why this happened, as I still have the original video showing them just two days ago. But I'm glad they seem to be gone now.
They sell lots of expensive products ,don't think they bother to repair $100 cams I think they may just send them back to Viofo but....maybe viofo does the refurbishing who knows Maybe a local Seller can explain as to what happens to cams that are returned. What does viofo do with those cams, that's what we need to know.

Last edited:
Back