Hot.....you betcha (outside and camera)

Bob R

Reaction score
Country
United States
I was just driving along minding my own business when all of a sudden the camera and mount decide to detach from the window. Outside temp is about 106ish (41C). I have full tint on all windows including the windshield which is a ceramic tint with 70% light transmission. Even so this camera gets too hot to touch. Using my handy dandy hand held laser temp gun I was getting 150-176 (65C - 80C) on the body of the cam above the control buttons. The camera lens housing was a cool 110ish (43Cish), the card slot area was about 135 (57C). The 3M VHB pad was dry on the windshield side, as in no sticky at all. The underside still had some stick to it. I am currently running a SanDisk Extreme 128G card and it has not missed any recordings. I am kind of disappointed with the VHB pad but have another so I will try again. But holy cow does this camera get hot. I have lowered the bitrate for parking to see what that might do for it. If i falls off again I will have to figure out a better tape, if there is one.

bob

Daum.

It have come up / happened a few times over the years, nothing else to du but clean surfaces and try again.

I have myself tried it a couple of times, but never on clean glass, but having moved cameras i have had the bond between tape and the plastic of the mount fail, and in those cases i have just put a little CA glue in between and slapped things back together.
CUZ i have tried all manners of ways to do it correct, cleaning plastic mount with solvents, hell even sandede it too, but it just let go, so enter the CA glue solution as between tape and plastic mount it dont really matter.

I have also tried 1 time letting go on the glass, but no wonder really after having mounted cameras for years in the same place and never really cleaning it properly once changing camera., so a good cleaning a few years ago and i have been back in the ballgame.

Cleaning solution used = Kent speedy 500 which is a glue remover ( normally used by people doing auto glass, at least thats where i got mine )

Maybe you need to clean the glass more carefully with detergent or alcohol to make sure there is no grease on the glass before using a new pad.

The camera will be fine at that temperature, if it gets too hot then it turns off 1 or 2 channels and if still too hot it will shut down. Not so sure about the SD card, but as long as it is working!

Maybe you need to clean the glass more carefully with detergent or alcohol to make sure there is no grease on the glass before using a new pad.

The camera will be fine at that temperature, if it gets too hot then it turns off 1 or 2 channels and if still too hot it will shut down. Not so sure about the SD card, but as long as it is working!

I thought it was interesting that the camera would get that hot and still tick along like it was designed to do. After finally getting all of the bugs worked out and the camera recording and the app working correctly I am liking the camera more and more. We just had some growing pains.

bob

I noticed with the N5 i got for testing, there are what i assume are 2 cleaning pads,and that i have seen before, but on the packages it say " primer ! Adhesion promoter.

primer.jpg
Pretty nifty if Vantrue are outside of the box, which at best are just a wipe with what i assume are alcohol.
Of course this could also be something like that and just creative wording.

Yeah dashcams do get insane hot, so do action cameras, i have the old dji Osmo action, and at least the ALU that make up the lens assembly get insane hot, so much so i would not touch it to any thin skin on my body.
There is a build in throttle, so too hot and the things will shut down, which are very important if you do parking guard.
I have never seen a camera shut down to heat during regular use, though Denmark are not a hot place other than with the looks of our girls.

116 F here, camera is still holding strong. I used the provided plastic square. The plastic square has adhesive on one side and is perfectly clean. both sides of the plastic square had removable protective film from factory. Without the plastic square between the glass and the base of the camera, the gray adhesive pad would have a hard time sticking long enough to the glass. Have you used the plastic square that it comes with?

I thought it was interesting that the camera would get that hot and still tick along like it was designed to do. After finally getting all of the bugs worked out and the camera recording and the app working correctly I am liking the camera more and more. We just had some growing pains.

bob
Can't help with the glue pad issues, but about temps in cameras:
Lots of quality plastics can easily work normally up to 200°C and most electronics do perform completely fine to at least 120°C.
The efficiency gets worse though. So in processors, you'll get lower maximum clocks or higher voltages needed, which in return will raise power consumption and produce even more heat.
One thing to know: heat dissipation gets more efficient, the higher the difference to the surrounding air.
So the hotter the camera case gets, the better it cools itself. Meaning it won't become hotter and hotter. It will hit a ceiling and even if it uses more power, it won't become much hotter anymore.

And the hotter the case, the better the internals dissipate the heat to the surrounding air.

Anyway, it's not awesome to have such hot dashcam cases, but it's good that the case gets hot instead of the cam shutting down.
Constant 4k recording produces quite some heat, not much to do about it apart from putting a little fan into the cams or so.

My car's collision warning system (optical through embedded camera on the top windshield) disabled itself again for a couple of minutes after the car stood in the sun for 2h with the sun directly hitting the windshield.

The A139 Pro kept recording the entire time.

I rest my case

Here is mine. Once the dashcam heated then wifi amd mic function doesn’t work as far i come to know.

Attachments

• DBA7E5DB-9F15-4A75-A5C2-26BA6F3C09F6.jpeg
    DBA7E5DB-9F15-4A75-A5C2-26BA6F3C09F6.jpeg
    269.8 KB · Views: 16
Cleaning the glass and finding a flatter bit definitely helps - Windscreen glass is slightly curved and often has a fine layer of dust and chemical film on it if it hasn't been cleaned for a while; That makes it tricky to get good adhesion. Giving it a good clean with an alcohol wipe can only help.

The pad that comes with most dashcams is a foam so can conform to slight curves, but it's good to hold it firmly against the screen for a bit to give it a chance to bond better. I usually stick it first and leave it overnight before I slot the dashcam into it, so the dashcam isn't pulling on it. The 3M VHB stuff most dashcams come with is top tier adhesive and there isn't many that stick better!

Back