How accurate is the “Usable Time” on Cellink Neo Plus app?

SPL15

Reaction score
Country
United States
Just installed a BBMC Powercell 8 & Cellink Neo EXT7 for my Viofo A139 Pro 2-Ch (F&R).

I’ve only had the batteries setup for a day. I calculated around 31 hours of combined runtime w/ the A139 Pro in parking mode based on measured current draw on a calibrated Keysight SMU & manufacturer stated capacity of the two batteries (7500mAH for the PC8, 6800mAH for the Neo EXT7, 95% efficiency).

Cellink Neo Plus app reports approx 49 - 50 hours of runtime when fully charged. Attached screenshot is after around 4 hours of being in parking mode, reporting almost 46 hours run time after 4 hours, which so far is reasonably accurate.

Reported current draw on the Cellink app is a bit optimistic at 0.3 amps, as the A139 Pro draws around 0.435 amps when in auto event detection parking mode according to my own measurements.

How accurate do you find the reported “Usable Time” for the Cellink app to be?

50 hours of runtime would be great; however, I’m guessing the A139 Pro won’t actually discharge the batteries completely due to Viofo’s HK3-C hardwire cable terminating power prematurely at 11.8 volts (11.73 volts to be exact on my particular sample).

I also upgraded the PowerCell 8’s power output cable to be 3ft long 16AWG to the HK3-C hardwire cable; this eliminates roughly 0.2 volts of parasitic voltage drop to the HK3-C’s power control module due to eliminating the 6 ft of flimsy 24AWG cable the PC8 comes with, so I should squeak out a little more capacity out of the batteries compared to others w/ a similar setup.

I also just ordered a spare HK3-C cable to reverse engineer & see if the low voltage dropout can be easily defeated in order to be able to extract the full capacity out of the battery packs on the rare occasion I leave my car parked over a weekend.

Attachments

• IMG_2391.jpeg
    IMG_2391.jpeg
    142.7 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
I'm lucky to get to 75%, sometimes 65% capacity from fully charged at 0.5A (indicated) draw before the blackvue senses 11.8V and shuts down, but the Cellink Neo says 12.0 and one bump down to 11.9v. I might have to look at your larger cable idea as mine is near useless, giving occasional 4hour runs in parking mode, and more usually 1hr or less

Considering a different idea here and bypassing the accessory power to the camera and just use the 12v output from the Cellink Neo tied to both power inputs on the blackvue and have the camera go into parking just based on lack of movement. No low voltage shutdown except when the cellink turns off at 0%. It should work, but I might try thicker cables first.

Back