How did you mount your A129 rear camera?

Reaction score
Country
United States
So frustrated with trying to mount the rear camera discretely. The plug being on top of the camera makes it really difficult to get it close to the top of the glass. I need a few inches of spacing which places it really low on the rear glass. Also, what's up with the cable being super thick? I can't get it through the rubber weather sealing.

Thinking of packaging this all up and returning it to Amazon. So thankful that Amazon has a great return policy...

You can reverse rear camera cable, so L connector is at the back.

Agree, connector on both sides would be much better with L connectors on both ends.

Most cars door weather stripping pulls right off. You can usually just pull off the top section (near roof headliner), giving you access to the cavity at the edge of the headliner and behind the air bags. Should be plenty of room in there. Depending on the car, you may not even have to remove any pillar covers.

Agree, connector on both sides would be much better with L connectors on both ends.

That would definitely help. Cord is still too thick to get it through the rubber hose connecting the trunk to the car (SUV). I'll probably just end up returning it to Amazon and get a Blackvue with a thinner front-to-rear cable. Wonder what Amazon FBA does with a clearly used product? Oh well.

That would definitely help. Cord is still too thick to get it through the rubber hose connecting the trunk to the car (SUV). I'll probably just end up returning it to Amazon and get a Blackvue with a thinner front-to-rear cable. Wonder what Amazon FBA does with a clearly used product? Oh well.
Does your SUV have two rubber cable protectors at the rear hatch? Usually one has less cables inside than the other, thus making the cable easier to get through. Just give it a squeeze and see if you can tell if there is more or less room in one over the other. Either way, you need to remove each end of the rubber boot to be able to get the cable through.

So frustrated with trying to mount the rear camera discretely. The plug being on top of the camera makes it really difficult to get it close to the top of the glass. I need a few inches of spacing which places it really low on the rear glass.

Not sure what car you have but it can be mounted discreetly, here's some photos of my setup, I'm in a hatchback btw:
1539652929533.png

1539652955739.png

Barely noticeable from the outside unless up close:
1539652877993.png

Some have mounted at bottom of window...

That would definitely help. Cord is still too thick to get it through the rubber hose connecting the trunk to the car (SUV).

I had a similar challenge running cable to the hose shown below, after detaching both ends from the frame I taped the cable to the end of a coat hanger and pulled it through, simpler than I thought.

1539652996247.png

Yes the cable to the rear cam is thick, however like everyone mentioned it's doable. I ran the cable along the headliner between weather strip:
1539652783787.png

Yes the cable to the rear cam is thick, however like everyone mentioned it's doable. I ran the cable along the headliner between weather strip:
-
in this last pic, will tucking in the cable as shown get in the way and interfere in the event of the air bags deploying?

No. Airbag is underneath on the B pillar. However, I had to route behind the airbag on the A pillar for the front.

Can anyone tell me what diameter the rear camera wire is please? I am going to get a few of the ferrite core things to try and minimise interference.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks! I'm glad this may have inspired you to keep at it. Hate to see you return it to get something 2-3 times the price due to a thick cable...

AWESOME. The key is lube -- like most things in life!

Went to Home Depot and bought this stuff.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Klein-Tools-19-oz-Foam-Wire-Pulling-Lubricant-51100/205360844

It's awesome. Used a little bit on the zip tie to get it to the other side, tied the cable around it and secured with electrical tape and then sprayed the inside of the rubber tube and around the cam wire. Slid right through with a little massaging of the tube. Took about a minute from start to finish.

Thanks!

Anyone found L adapter (10pin mini USB) for rear camera?
I searched Aliexpress and other sites and no result (only 5 pin - but this is wrong)

when i fitted mine i fed the rear camera cable through the car wiring boot directly into the hatch. worked a treat.

Anyone found L adapter (10pin mini USB) for rear camera?
I searched Aliexpress and other sites and no result (only 5 pin - but this is wrong)

Do you need an L on both ends? If not, just reverse the cable..

Back