How does the A229 Pro motion sensor/collision detector work?

ws46060

Reaction score
Country
United States
How does the A229 Pro motion sensor/collision detector work? Is there an accelerometer in it? Is there any way to access the data? I have software that can see the in the mp4 files the embedded GPS, bearing, and timestamp data, but I cannot see any g-force information.

It has visual motion detection, through the image sensor, plus a g-sensor (accelerometer).

I don't think Viofo publish the g-sensor data, probably because their g-sensor is never in the correct orientation, it is at whatever angle the windshield is at, and they don't know how to translate that into standard X,Y,Z forces.

I've never seen a dashcam that gives very useful g-sensor data anyway, it tends to be heavily filtered and nothing like reality. If you want to calculate acceleration, you are probably better off looking at the GPS data, and adjusting for it normally being between one and two seconds behind reality. The GPS is pretty accurate most of the time, so can calculate acceleration, whereas no dashcam has a g-sensor that you could work out your speed from.

Back