How exactly do you connect the Mobius to the fuse box?

Reaction score
Country
United States
It just hit me today that I don't know exactly how one is to connect the Mobius to a fuse box. I have a long mini USB cable, which I can plug into a car power/USB adapter (cigarette lighter/12v), but what am I supposed to do it connect it to the actual fuse so I'm not running cables all across the car?

My assumption is that the USB cable would need to be cut on the USB A side and somehow spliced into the fuse, but I really have no idea.

I'm getting a reverse camera installed tomorrow, so I figured this would be a good time to ask to see if they'd do it for me at the same time.

My assumption is that the USB cable would need to be cut on the USB A side and somehow spliced into the fuse, but I really have no idea.

I'm getting a reverse camera installed tomorrow, so I figured this would be a good time to ask to see if they'd do it for me at the same time.

camera is 5v, don't go splicing into USB cables, your reverse camera installer should be fine to set this up for you though, better to let them do it

As jokiin said, the car is 12V and the camera is 5V. Not to fry the camera you need some sort of conversion to have the voltage down. Therefore you can't splice the usb cable directly to the fuses, doing that will not make your camera that happy and long-lasting. ;) It's the same with the car charger for your cellphone, you need to have the voltage down there too, the converser-thingy doing just that is built into the ciggy connector. You can't see it from the outside but it's in there.

As jokiin said, the car is 12V and the camera is 5V. Not to fry the camera you need some sort of conversion to have the voltage down. Therefore you can't splice the usb cable directly to the fuses, doing that will not make your camera that happy and long-lasting. ;) It's the same with the car charger for your cellphone, you need to have the voltage down there too, the converser-thingy doing just that is built into the ciggy connector. You can't see it from the outside but it's in there.

Thanks guys. Turns out my installer did not really understand what I was trying to do, although had the proper cables *with* me on the time of install, they would've figured out what I kept trying to explain to them.

In retrospect, I should have asked this question a long time ago and received the proper parts so I could have had them do it as the same time as the backup camera without having to pay an extra fee. Apparently, they installed the camera cables in the ignition area of the car (they took off the panels adjacent to the steering wheel in order to install) instead of going through the fuse box (which most people here generally prefer--I think).

Now I think I'm going to run the USB cable behind the roofliner, through the weatherproofing rubber strip across the door, down across the bottom of the passenger's seat, and into the backseat 12v which is being powered by this exact device.

Will that device (notice it has a 2.1A and 1A charging port. I specifically picked this one with the 1A port vs. the other model with larger number Amps) safely power the Mobius for extended periods of time safely? The idea is to have the Mobius permanently docked in the car right under the shade vinyl dot matrix thing to where it'll be hard to notice the camera lens. I am slightly concerned about heat, however. When I need video footage, I can easily remove the microsd card for review on the computer but leave the Mobius plugged in to the car at all times.

I bought something like that, just by a different name, and it has or gives the same output as the one you mentioned. I haven't had chance to try mine yet, as I am awaiting a long usb cable for the Mobious camera, so I can keep it charged.

Well when you have located the fuze socket that you want you Mobius to be fed from, you remove the fuze and insert the power thief. Then you insert the fuze that you removed from the socket plus the fuze that comes with power thief, into the two slots in the power thief housing. Now you just have to insert the power cord from the 5V converter box into the blue sleeve and squeeze it flat with a plier, and you are good to go. It can hardly be easier.

4107-Sicherung-Verteiler-Verdoppler.jpg

Last edited:
Well when you have located the fuze socket that you want you Mobius to be fed from, you remove the fuze and insert the power thief. Then you insert the fuze that you removed from the socket plus the fuze that comes with power thief, into the two slots in the power thief housing. Now you just have to insert the power cord from the 5V converter box into the blue sleeve and squeeze it flat with a plier, and you are good to go. It can hardly be easier.

Thanks, dude! That was helpful.

I'm thinking of getting the following for my car. Do you think this is the proper combination? I can't verify if I have standard or mini fuses according to my car's manual. Do you think you could perhaps take a look (page 221-230; there's an engine fuse box as well as one located in the car)? I would need to connect the hardwaire kit to a 5A fuse, right?

Hardwire kit
Extra fuse adapter standard or mini or mini-low profile? (Not sure which version I need)

Am I missing a piece here? Do I need to purchase any additional fuses?

Thank you!!

The short answer ...

On some circuits, your car uses mini (ATM), on some other circuits, it uses regular (ATC/ATO).

DO NOT TOUCH anything in the fuse panel (power distribution box) in the engine bay. It has high current fuses (meaning there’s high current running) and it is there to protect your car’s main electrical system.

Take a look at the passenger side fuse panel. (below the glove box, the manual says. page 226)
F57, F58,F62, F63 are not used.
Check with multimeter if these circuits are powered when ignition is on.
If they are, you can use any of these “not used” circuits.

Otherwise, get “mini” fuse tap, and tap into F61. (20 (A) fuse for cigar lighter circuit.)

Always put a fuse as close to the power take out point as possible. (in this case, where you tapped into)

The fuse rating for dash cam, if you can find the current draw of the device (or wattage), you can calculate the fuse you should use.
(read this

http://www.ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?topic=69572.msg1285083#msg1285083

The short answer is, get 2(A) mini fuse and inline fuse holder , put it within four inches from the tapping point.

Last edited:
Back