How Good Are Installers?

pdmike

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Blackvue DR750S 2-CH
I have a BlackVue DR750S-2CH on order. It's my first dash cam. I intend to have it installed professionally. Assuming the installer guy is competent, will he be able to install front and back cameras in such a way that I'm not going to be looking at a lot of wires inside my car? I guess what I'm asking here is, in general, how good are these professional dash cam installers?

Install isn't too complex to be honest, so you should be okay.
As long as he knows how to remove some trim lol.

Are you getting it hardwired into your car or are you just using the cigarette adapter?

Thanks for the quick comeback. I had thought I would get it hardwired. Is that the best way to go?

Hard wire open up for the option to use parking guard features of the camera, additionally you can also just hardwired to have your dashboard cigarette lighter free for other things.
If you hardwire for parking guard too, you better have a hard wire kit with a BDP or one of those installed too ( BDP = Battery Discharge Preventer )

I am not quite sure but i think that cameras of yours have a build in BDP, so the dashcam will shut itself off when your car battery reach a set voltage, in order for you to be able to start your car.

It really comes down to your needs really; If you need/want to utilize parking mode recording then yeah, hardwiring is the best bet.
I suppose it's a little more secure too, harder to rip out of your car if it's hardwired - I mean, sorta. Someone could still just unplug the cords and take the cam/s.

If you want to only use parking mode once in a while, you could consider getting an external battery system (BlackVue makes two, B-112 & the bigger B-124 - there are other options from other manufacturers too)

If you don't care about parking mode at all, then I wouldn't worry about hardwiring.

I have a brand, new car that has all the bells and whistles when it comes to parking assist, lane assist, collision avoidance, dead spot alarm, etc, etc., so I will not need my dash cam for anything along those lines. My main reason for wanting to hardwire is that I don't want to have to look at any wires running around loose (or in view) in the cab of the car and this includes anything that would be plugged into the cigarette lighter. Also, when you hardwire, doesn't the cam come on automatically when the car starts and off when you turn the ignition off?

Well to give you an idea of how install would work non-hardwired (it should be noted that I'm not a professional, by any means) but in my car, I have the cam mounted with the power + rear cam cable tucked into the trim of my roof.
Pulled off the weather strips in my door to hide the power cable going down and out underneath my glove box.
Used the included cable clips to make the cable snug underneath and then plugged into my cig port.
Just enough slack to unplug the cigarette power adapter if needed.

The rear cable I went up over my seatbelt trim (being careful of where any airbags are), and once I had it at the back window I just triple stuffed the cable up into the gap of trim between the roof and window.

Haven't noticed the cable falling out back there, yet.
I had a bunch left over though, so we'll see if it slips out over time.

My install isn't meant to be a long time install though, so that's the biggest reason I didn't hardwire.

The cam does come on automatically when you start your car if it's hardwired, but it does so when plugged into your cig port too ;)
Having it hardwired allows it to stay ON while your car is off.
& as @kamkar1 mentioned, it's important to have some sort of voltage cut-off option so your cam doesn't drain your car battery in parking mode.

The BlackVue Power Magic Pro is the device to get for hardwiring, you can have it set to turn off the camera either by a low-voltage setting or by a timer.

Just like the other had recommended that you can hardwire it yourself since it is not that comlicated.
It would depend if you have a sedan or an SUV on the degree of difficulty.
An SUV would be a challenge since the wire has to go thru the rubber loom.
Finding the constant power source if you will user your parking mode.

Just like the other had recommended that you can hardwire it yourself since it is not that comlicated.
It would depend if you have a sedan or an SUV on the degree of difficulty.
An SUV would be a challenge since the wire has to go thru the rubber loom.
Finding the constant power source if you will user your parking mode.
It's an SUV. But it doesn't matter - it could be a scooter - there is no way I am going to attempt to install a dash cam. I am going to have it done professionally. We are dealing with a front and rear camera. Even if it was only a front camera, it wouldn't matter. I'm having a pro do it.

Back