How long have you had your mobius?

monty

Reaction score
Country
United States
Just got my mobius today! Charging it right now :D

I posted another thread about wire lengths and read an interesting post there
But Im going to say something that will be controversial and Im sure many will disagree, but Id be very surprised if these little cameras last up to or much past a year. My first one at the start of 2013 died within 2 weeks, my replacement overheated and I had to pull the battery after 3 months. All with the offical charger and cable, so nothing weird.
My third one I have had since July with the USB cable I bought to use with it that I mentioned (B lens) is the longest living one I have had.
Full post here

Has anyone else had this or similar problems with your mobius's life? If not, how long have you had your camera?

I think this is a good idea because if a bunch of people have this die on them relatively soon for the same reasons, maybe that is something the developer could look into.

Lens A has been in the car since July 23. Only removed to do FW updates. Recently replaced by a Lens B.

Last edited:
I bought 1st Mobius (lens A) in the mid of July, 2nd Mobius (lens A) in the beginning of August, and 3rd Mobius (lens B) somewhere in October. No problems with them. Only remove from the cars to update firmware.

Just got my mobius today! Charging it right now :D

I posted another thread about wire lengths and read an interesting post there

Full post here

Has anyone else had this or similar problems with your mobius's life? If not, how long have you had your camera?

I think this is a good idea because if a bunch of people have this die on them relatively soon for the same reasons, maybe that is something the developer could look into.
The developer always investigates returned cameras. That is also a reason why the hardware layout can slightly vary between different production runs. People do silly things like press the buttons too hard, yank the ribbon cable in the wrong place, etc. etc. These types of hardware failures require rearranging components or adding reinforcement in the next production run. The only thing the developer can do about people using bad chargers is to give the advice to use only 1A supplies.
All electronic devices can fail, but I believe the number of Mobius failures is minimal. We always hear about the failures, but hardly ever about all the cameras that have not yet failed. A camera can also fail because of a bad component batch and that is another reason the developer always assembles the cameras in small batches. I would think it's all but impossible to fully test each and every camera before they are dispatched.
FWIW, my original, pre-release model still works perfectly.
I don't think it's possible to gather meaningful statistics of how many cameras have failed and how many have not.

FWIW, my original, pre-release model still works perfectly.
I don't think it's possible to gather meaningful statistics of how many cameras have failed and how many have not.
So how long have you had it?

I guess it depends on meaningful. If 10 people post that theirs had died within 1 month while 20 said theirs is still working, that would be meaningful to me. I think it is valid question with some statistical value however slight in a macro context :)

Posts on this site are not representative of the experience of the majority of dashcam owners, most of whom don't have the time or inclination to browse here, & probably aren't even aware of it's existence. That is until their dashcam develops a fault, when you can be sure they will find this site, & report the problem & request assistance.

I recall reading a while (few years) ago that the average consumer electronics product failure rate is 15%. Eletoponline alone has sold nearly 7,500 Mobius. Add in the other sellers, & Mobius sales must be well over 10,000. Have we seen over 1,000 failures reported here / RCGroups / Youtube? My guesstimate is that those I've seen total less than 1% of sales so far.

The majority of problems relating to the Mobius appear to be issues with the MicroSD Card used by the owner, USB connectivity problems between Mobius & PC, premature battery failure caused by inadequate external power supplies, & faulty owners who cannot be bothered to read the manual, or are incompetent DIYers who mishandle or dismantle the camera for no good reason, & eff it up in the process.

Of course there are instances of component failure, incorrect assembly, damage caused in transit by clumsy postal workers, etc. But when someone posts here about their defective Mobius, they may forget to mention that they had dropped it onto a concrete floor a day or two ago. Anecdotal reports sometimes don't tell the full story. When my girlfriend told me an oncoming car had hit & broken her door mirror, I had no reason to doubt her. Until I noticed that it was her passenger door mirror that was broken. Then she confessed she'd hit a parked car! I don't know why she lied to me, but research shows that people lie more than once every day, so don't believe everything you read or hear.

Long story short, any attempt to establish the reliability rate of the Mobius based on posts to this site are likely to (falsely) conclude that the Mobius is an unreliable POS. But you could reach much the same conclusion about virtually every camera discussed on this site... just browse the threads!

So enjoy your new Mobius, & don't worry about other people's problems. If it helps, mine has been in daily use since the beginning of October, & works perfectly. Which is statistically irrelevant, but I'm probably among the vast majority of satisfied owners.

Last edited:
I recall reading a while (few years) ago that the average consumer electronics product failure rate is 15%. Eletoponline alone has sold nearly 7,500 Mobius. Add in the other sellers, & Mobius sales must be well over 10,000. Have we seen over 1,000 failures reported here / RCGroups / Youtube? My guesstimate is that those I've seen total less than 1% of sales so far.
1.5% would be more like it

So you've seen 150 documented failures?

IMHO there seems to be a lot of unfair "scaremongering" going on regarding the Mobius - perhaps I'm wrong? Perhaps the other brand dash cam forums are the same? (I don't know as I never read them.)

But, unless there are definite figures, it seems unfair to be publicly posting assumptions or "guesstimates".

So you've seen 150 documented failures?

IMHO there seems to be a lot of unfair "scaremongering" going on regarding the Mobius - perhaps I'm wrong? Perhaps the other brand dash cam forums are the same? (I don't know as I never read them.)

But, unless there are definite figures, it seems unfair to be publicly posting assumptions or "guesstimates".

read what I quoted and wrote again, I think you missed what I was referring to, average consumer electronics failure rate in nothing like 15%, around 1.5% is much closer to the mark, varies a bit by category, some products are better, some are worse, but 1.5 would be about right as an average

Edit: I've been in the consumer electronics business since 1994

Last edited:
read what I quoted and wrote again, I think you missed what I was referring to, average consumer electronics failure rate in nothing like 15%, around 1.5% is much closer to the mark, varies a bit by category, some products are better, some are worse, but 1.5 would be about right as an average

Edit: I've been in the consumer electronics business since 1994

Jokiin, you quoted the whole post - the last section you quoted was
....Have we seen over 1,000 failures reported here / RCGroups / Youtube? My guesstimate is that those I've seen total less than 1% of sales so far.

Then you posted

See?

Anyway, it's good you cleared that up- that you weren't referring to a Mobius failure rate of 1.5%! ;)

Jokiin, you quoted the whole post - the last section you quoted was

Then you posted

See?

yeah I should have cut the quote shorter, oversight, I was only referring to the averages for consumer electronics, you were reading something into what I wrote that wasn't what I was referring to, apologies if you misunderstood what I was getting at

I have had two Mobius cameras running in my van and car for about five months. Then a third I carry in my pocket - a great discreet video camera.

Never any serious issues at all. Failed at getting 64g cards to work, now satisfied with 32g.

I don't want theft bait in my car/van and the Mobius is great at being up and out of the way, not seen by thieves. I run them now in Motion Detect mode and glance at them while I get home to see if they are still recording.
If so, I manually turn those off. That is the only 'bug' I have to work around. My car Mobius already saved me one ticket.

I came to this forum to research the Mini 0801 and dash cams in general. After a lot of reading (have you seen that original mini 0801 thread?:confused:), I concluded the mini 0801 wasn't reliable enough for me and in continuing to look for a small discreet camera, found the Mobius. Sure, like everyone else, one of the first things I read was the heat issue and it overheating after only two hours of driving :eek: I live in a warm climate (75F/25C) with sun almost everyday and no winter. I was concerned, yet after continuing to research, I kept reading that the video is excellent, the support on two forums is amazing, the developer is committed to keeping firmware updates coming and everyone was just really happy with the camera. I wrote a few owners and @Isoprop (thanks for your help guys :)) and concluded the heat issue was a little exaggerated.

It's been about 3 weeks, with a couple long 2-3 hour drives and no problems. I keep feeling the case and it seems cool enough. The heat sinks are hot because they're supposed to be. I really like this camera and am enjoying playing, um researching it :rolleyes: and after getting cut off at 100 km/h on the highway last night and having to slam I the brakes, my wife now sees it as useful!

Last edited:
Back