how to backup GS1000 fw SMH1.27.09.1211 model

spacesnow

Reaction score
Country
Estonia
Yesterday I bought 2 cameras and to exploit my regular weekend-insomnia session I took a "calculated risk" and tried to update firmware on one of them. The original fw is SMH1.27.09.1211
The model has orange menu, but have I can't determinate is it a orange new, old, fake or something else. There is a Ambarella A2S-A1-RH chip inside it. GPS and G-sensor also working fine. And on the starting screen is orange lamourghini. Example of the same menu layout from another user:
post-143128-0-39358700-1353064531.jpg

I tried to make the backup using memcard but didn't success. There is should have stop fooling but I decided to use DirectUSB to backup it and when I failed in it too, I updated the firmware and bricked the camera. Into USB boot mode I got by pressing Rec/OK button when connecting usb cable.
Cam then started from button, there is a starting screen with motorbikes and then screen goes blank. I connected the AV plug in and cam's screen started to work again. Cam was surprisingly in the state of recording video. Only On-off button works, it is switching nightshoot options or turning cam off. No other knobs reacting. No picture on AV-device. When I later checked the memcard there was correct mov files, also gps tracks recorded. Connecting usb from PC does nothing in cam and device manager shows under usb devices unknown device.
I can easily get the cam into usb-boot mode or memcard update mode but I didn't find any fw which corrects the halfbricked situation.
The best result so far is this motorcycles version with on-off button works and screen works when AV-plug is connected, no blue led on:
menu2.jpg
Question: can I backup the original firmware from working camera somehow? Tried many cards without luck. The memcard backup seems to not working at all and i have no idea how to do it with Direct USB.
I am doing this just for my interest, using well my regulary happening weekend-insomnia sessions ;)

And peace and respecta to all helpers on dashcamtalk.com, lot's of totally useful wisdom shared here!

you may find a Texet firmware that will get your camera running, they did this model from Samoon

instructions on how to backup the firmware using the USB program are in the GS1000 info section on the main page of the site

the bin file created from backup will probably need to be loaded onto the other camera via the USB program as well, the firmware bin files are not the same for USB updating and memory card updating

Thanks jokiin, any idea what number of fw might work?

Thanks jokiin, any idea what number of fw might work?

sorry no, your firmware was quite old though so I'd look for something around a similar age first as there's more chance the hardware was similar

EDIT: sorry, just noticed that's not your own pic up top, suggest trying to find something from a similar date to what you had though anyway

how can I get the date from fw number? Is it 2009 or 2011 or 2012 if fw number is SMH1.27.09.1211?
I actually have another working camera available here but can't figure out how to backup fw from that. autoexec.ash on memcard doesn't work. Tried with several cards.

Hey, I got my camera back to working normally. Thanks for advices, I actually got the firmware from http://3ppc.net, now the introductional picture is not the orange car anymore but motorcycles, all other options are the same I had originally. It was kinda recovery firmware and that is exactly what it did. It seems the original SMH1.27.09.1211 could not be updated without bricking it.

Back