How to reduce number of frames per second?

Sunny

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
More than I can review. ;)
Registrator viewer has 8 fps on fast play mode but for longer drives at 16x speed, that 8 fps becomes 128 fps.
Because of that, a 2 minute 16x video is over a gig in size.
Is there another free tool to specify low fps during video conversion?
I have video conversion programs but I don't want to convert it, just reduce fps.
1 fps would be great for longer videos.

have you looked at Windows Movie Maker, I haven't checked for this specifically but I did notice when using it recently that it has some decent file handling built in for a free product

Yes, WMM converts video using it's renderer.
I'm looking for something that does direct conversion without any processing like the Registrator viewer.
RV works great but filesize is too big even at 8fps for longer drives.

Ok.
For example this 10 sec video is 111 mb @ 16x speed and has over 60fps.

It's not that easy to reduce the size of a video by reducing the number of frames without re-encoding since most of the data is used by the key frames which don't normally appear very often so you will be keeping them, the rest of the data is just what has changed between successive frames and if you remove any of that then you no longer have a complete image for any of the following frames until the next key frame.

If you want to really reduce the size then you don't have any choice but to re-encode it. As long as you re-encode it at around the original bit rate then you should hardly be able to notice a loss in quality.

I dont know any free video editing tool that would allow you to use for what you want to achieve.

I checked my AVS Video Editor and it allows to specify Fps output while converting from 1 to 60Fps
Here are results on basis of 2min clip I quickly tested.

Original speed:

2 min., 226Mb
1080p / 30Fps / 15Mbps

Same 2min clip at 12x Speed:

9 sec, 18.3Mb
1080p / 30Fps / 15Mbps

Registrator viewer has 8 fps on fast play mode but for longer drives at 16x speed, that 8 fps becomes 128 fps.
Because of that, a 2 minute 16x video is over a gig in size.
Is there another free tool to specify low fps during video conversion?
I have video conversion programs but I don't want to convert it, just reduce fps.
1 fps would be great for longer videos.

What kind of software exactly is Registrator Viewer? A video editor software? I don't think fps has any effect on file size. Bit rate (megabits per second) is the one that determines how big a file will be.

With my video editor, I only need to specify at what bit rate and fps I want my final video to have. So, no matter how much I speed up my video, if I choose 28Mbps @ 60fps, the final product will always have that spec.

Back