How to refocus Len "A"

Open the housing, then loosen the hex nut securing the lens using the included Allen key and rotate the lens till you get the desired focus.

For live view you could use the TV out cable or the Android app.

Open the housing, then loosen the hex nut securing the lens using the included Allen key and rotate the lens till you get the desired focus.

Thanks for the reply.

There was no key with the Maxi but have one from the mobius 1. However I cannot find the nut on the lens "A". Where is it?

Lens A module does not have a key. The lens is glued into the holder.

You will need to strip the glue from around the lens, then twist to the correct position.

Thanks for the reply.

There was no key with the Maxi but have one from the mobius 1. However I cannot find the nut on the lens "A". Where is it?

Oops, I thought you were asking about the M1.

Maxi A lens doesn't have the hex screw, need to remove the glue and unscrew it.

I addition to webcam mode as Dashmellow mentioned, for the Maxi you can get live view over Wi-Fi with their Android and iOS apps.

As @TonyM mentioned, the A lens is glued in and does not have a grub screw. On some occasions, the glue used to secure Maxi lenses can make it very difficult to unscrew them. If you find that to be the case carefully apply a bit of heat using a hair dryer or heat gun to soften the glue. Once you refocus the lens to your satisfaction you'll need to secure it in place so that it stays in focus. A small dab or two of UV setting cement between the lens barrel and lens holder is excellent for this purpose. It will hold the lens securely in place but can easily be undone if you ever need to refocus or want to swap in a different lens.

Avoid using Super Glue for this purpose as it can permanently fog your lens or sensor.

BTW, One of the unique things about using web cam mode with the Maxi for focusing is that you will get a full resolution image on your screen that is 1920 x 1440 pixels. I'm not aware of any other similar camera that can achieve this in web cam mode. The Mobius 1 in comparison yields a 720p image in web cam mode. For this reason, the big clear live image from the Maxi makes web cam mode my preferred method for critical focusing.

Due to sewer works in the back yard where my car are normally parked i can not park there and so are now in front of the building where i have gotten my car vandalized 2 times.

BUT ! this time i have a "wider" 1080p CCTV camera on the street, and i have just put up my maxi with the 12 mm lens to give me a identifying chance if anyone should stop beside my car and do something to it.
The repair of the sewer should be done Tuesday afternoon, so just 2 nights i have to make do with this makeshift setup.

Due to sewer works in the back yard where my car are normally parked i can not park there and so are now in front of the building where i have gotten my car vandalized 2 times.

BUT ! this time i have a "wider" 1080p CCTV camera on the street, and i have just put up my maxi with the 12 mm lens to give me a identifying chance if anyone should stop beside my car and do something to it.
The repair of the sewer should be done Tuesday afternoon, so just 2 nights i have to make do with this makeshift setup.

OK, but what the heck does all this have to do with, "How to Focus the A Lens"? :unsure:

SRY i wanted to start with i never really bothered with peeling any glue off lenses, i just unscrew them, and then peel a little of if i need to screw it in further than it was.

And then go of topic,,,, yet again.

SRY i wanted to start with i never really bothered with peeling any glue off lenses, i just unscrew them, and then peel a little of if i need to screw it in further than it was.

And then go of topic,,,, yet again.

OK, that makes more sense. Hope your sewer and parking area gets fixed on time. :)

I don't know about the merits of not peeling the old glue off but for me the issue with unscrewing certain lenses is getting a recalcitrant lens to twist off in the first place, hence the heat gun. One of the Maxi lens modules sent to me (a prototype) was glued on so strongly it was virtually impossible to remove.

I don't know about the merits of not peeling the old glue off but for me the issue with unscrewing certain lenses is getting a recalcitrant lens to twist off in the first place, hence the heat gun. One of the Maxi lens modules sent to me (a prototype) was glued on so strongly it was virtually impossible to remove.
Is there a reason why this lens was glued whereas the earlier versions were held via a screw.

I am beginning to dislike this camera more and more especially with no answer yet to the software problems.:(

Is there a reason why this lens was glued whereas the earlier versions were held via a screw.

I am beginning to dislike this camera more and more especially with no answer yet to the software problems.:(

The way it was explained it to me was that they decided to eliminate the set screw begining with the M2 after receiving a lot of M1 returns from people who would attempt to adjust their lenses and then ask for refunds or replacements after they totally screwed up the focusing. I advocated for them not to abandon the set screw since this is one of the special features that makes an enthusiast camera like the Mobius so unique in the market in the first place. My suggestion was that the camera should come with a sticker or seal over the set screw and a warning that changing the focus will void any warranty. I never got a direct answer about my suggestion but since the Maxi has been introduced some lenses seem to come with a grub screw and some don't.

the screw makes sense but I can see their point if it caused excessive returns which were just user error

the screw makes sense but I can see their point if it caused excessive returns which were just user error
I would have thought having to break the glue and then re-glue would have the same result. :)

I would have thought having to break the glue and then re-glue would have the same result. :)

it would, I'm guessing that when it's a screw and the tool is provided that some people just fiddle with things when there's no need to in the first place, are that many of them out of focus in the first place, I wouldn't think so

Other than the Mobius with it's unique focusable lens and provided Allen wrench virtually all other dash/action cameras come with glued in place lenses. Breaking the glue seal is an intentional act that makes it obvious that the buyer has "tampered" with the lens whereas providing a set screw and a hex wrench is a literal "invitation" to readjust the lens focus if so desired and assumes that the buyer knows what he is doing. Unfortunately, that's not always the case.

In addition to the response from @Dashmellow , I can see three practical reasons for not having a set screw on the A lens:

First, the lens holder is rather short, so there's not much space to fit a screw.

Second, the lens does not engage very far into the holder, so again not much space to fit a screw and hold the lens securely.

Third, the lens barrel is plastic, unlike Lens B and other Mobius lenses which are metal, so a set screw is more likely to damage the lens - although I suppose the set screw would get a good bite into the plastic to hold it in place!

Back