How to unlock locked videos from the app without deleting them

1997cui

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi,
VIOFO has a feature to lock videos when vibration is detected during driving. Then I use the iOS App to connect to the camera, and it shows the files in the locked files tab. I cannot find a way to unlock them without deleting them (i.e., unlock the file and let the loop recording overwrite them ). Can anyone share a screenshot of the App to show how to do it?

I also have a question, in the EXIF information of the video, what's the unit for GPS Speed Tag? Is it always km/h, no matter what is set inside the camera GPS settings?

Welcome to the forum 1997cui.

I would kinda assume you have to DL the event file, then it is at least backed up and i assume you could delete it, or it become eligible for deletion.
The event folder, only have so much room as its a dynamic memory space, so once that fill up, files there will get deleted to make room for new events, and dont worry there are room for quite a few events, so if you only generate actual events ( IE do not have G-sensor on while driving ) then you should be good.

I personally only go to the RO / event folder once a month to pick up events i have created pressing button, and there are still events in there going back several months.

Hi,
VIOFO has a feature to lock videos when vibration is detected during driving. Then I use the iOS App to connect to the camera, and it shows the files in the locked files tab. I cannot find a way to unlock them without deleting them (i.e., unlock the file and let the loop recording overwrite them ). Can anyone share a screenshot of the App to show how to do it?

I also have a question, in the EXIF information of the video, what's the unit for GPS Speed Tag? Is it always km/h, no matter what is set inside the camera GPS settings?
There is no way to unlock the videos in the app, but you can just delete them directly in the app. Only cameras with screen can support unlocking the files on the cameras. Otherwise, you can just do this on the computer.

"Locking" means saving to a folder where files are not overwritten ? Do I understand this correctly ?

GPS speed tags in EXIF always use knots unit. 1 knot = 0.514444 meters/sec. You be able to set prefferable units for speed in Video/GPS tracks viewer software and it will be calculated automatically to KM/H or MPH.

GPS speed tags in EXIF always use knots unit. 1 knot = 0.514444 meters/sec. You be able to set prefferable units for speed in Video/GPS tracks viewer software and it will be calculated automatically to KM/H or MPH.
Emmm, in the exiftool, I got
GPSSpeed : 102.8045
Which obviously not knots, I cannot drive that fast.

EXIF is a file format which describes how to store metadata in other file formats. As example - how to store GPS information tags inside MP4 video file. And in EXIF tag of MP4 files GPS speed values store in binary format in knots.
EXIFtool is a software and as I stated early it can automatically convert knots to KM/H or MPH based on "GPS Speed Ref" value.

One example.
Binary view of MP4 file:
1692772100459.png
"freeGPS " - begin of GPS info label
2C 00 00 00 - magic key
0C 00 00 00 - is a hours in HEX format = 12
19 00 00 00 - is a minutes = 25
19 00 00 00 - is a seconds = 25
17 00 00 00 - year = 2023
06 00 00 00 - month = 06
11 00 00 00 - day = 17
"A" - states that this GPS record is Active
"N" - North for latitude
"E" - East for longitude
00 - reserved byte
60 4C A9 45 - latitude value in float format
FE 12 8D 45 - longitude value in float format
5C 0F A8 42 - is a speed value in knots in float little-endian format
00 C0 39 43 - course value in float format

Enter this speed value to Online converter and you see 84.0299987793 decimal value. This is speed in knots. Next multiply this value to 0.514444 and you got 43,22872869201821 meters/second. Multiply to 3600 and divide to 1000 and finally we got current speed value = 155,6234232912656 in KM/H units.

Same value I see in exiftool output:
1692772491469.png

Hope it's helps.

Last edited:
Back