I am in a predicament w/ BlackVue DR900X-2CH Plus. 5v to 12v via USB adapter?

SheperdX

Reaction score
Country
United States
So I have an issue. I am installing my dashcam in my 2022 Subaru BRZ, and the 12v charger that they give w/ the dashcam does not fit.

What I mean by that is, the 12v outlet on this BRZ is behind the glove box. Basically the 12v charger they have is too tall, and doesn't allow my glove box to close.

So I am left with attempting to get a low profile 12v outlet like this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/B0795DJXNH
And I am wondering if I can get a DC 3.5*1.35mm to USB like this and have it power the dash cam: https://www.amazon.com/gp/B075YMHXQZ
I guess the question would be, does the dashcam require a current greater than 0.6A? Anyone tried something like this before? Otherwise, I have to basically rip the dash up to wire it to the fuze box if I want a clean install, which I am dreading.

The Anker is a well-known manufacturer, it is worth considering this option. Everything will work, the main thing is that you should not take noname adapters with low current

I don't think that is a good solution, I would expect it not to work, or not to work for long.

how about using a 12V accessory socket extension adaptor, so that you can plug your camera in normally, but into the extension located somewhere with plenty of space.

why cant you just wire it into the fusebox ?

either hardwire, or just switched with ignition ?

And I am wondering if I can get a DC 3.5*1.35mm to USB like this and have it power the dash cam: https://www.amazon.com/gp/B075YMHXQZ
I guess the question would be, does the dashcam require a current greater than 0.6A? Anyone tried something like this before? Otherwise, I have to basically rip the dash up to wire it to the fuze box if I want a clean install, which I am dreading.

IMO, there are a few concerns with this approach. The 0.6 amps (600 mA) it states it can provide might be enough for most power draw situations with the DR900X-2CH, but during power up or if you add the optional CM100LTE connectivity device which gets its power from the from camera unit there might not be enough milliamps available to fully power the dashcam.

You stated that dimensions of this unit's power plug are 3.5*1.35mm. Those dimensions only match up with the older style BlackVue DC port port plug. Most X series dashcams (except DR750X-2CH LTE Plus) have been changed to use a 3-wire capable DC power port plug that has different dimensions and the positive/negative connectors have flipped locations.

The older style BlackVue power port plug provided power via the center connector (center positive). The updated X series 3-wire DC power port plug is "center negative" with the constant / accessory power being provided via the two rings on the outside of the connector plug.

In the amazon listing page, I found an answer regarding power polarity for the unit and the answer stated it was a "center positive" power plug. If that's true, then this USB 5V-to-12V step-up adapter might work for older BlackVue dashcams because the dimensions match and the polarity matches. It will not work with any X series dashcam that requires the 3-wire compatible DC power port plug, because the dimensions are different and the polarity / connector rings are incorrect.

Some of the comments on the amazon listing page showed varying results on how well it provides 12-volt power. Even if you had an older BlackVue dashcam with a compatible DC power port, I just don't think I would risk using this type of power adapter.

blackvue_dc_power_connector_changes.jpg

Will a USB supply the required voltage? I was under the impression that USB only provides 5 volts. And that the Blackvue takes a direct ~12 volts.

Back