Mikeali

Manufacturer
Reaction score
Country
United States

OEM Dash Cams: A Researcher's Perspective​

My decade of research on dash cams has led me to explore various form factors, and I must say, OEM-style dash cams offer a compelling option for drivers who prioritize aesthetics and a clean in-car look.

Benefits of OEM Dash Cams:

• Discreet Design: Unlike traditional dash cams that can be bulky and obstruct views, OEM cams integrate seamlessly into existing car features like the rearview mirror. This maintains a factory-installed look and avoids a cluttered windshield.
  • Space-Saving: Their compact design minimizes the footprint within the car. This is particularly beneficial for drivers with smaller vehicles or those who dislike bulky electronics mounted on the dashboard.
Mangoal Tech and the OEM Niche:

Based on my research, Mangoal Tech appears to be a frontrunner in the OEM dash cam market. They might be the only manufacturer currently specializing in this specific style. This positions them well to cater to drivers who value a discreet and integrated dash cam solution.

Further Considerations:

While OEM cams offer a sleek aesthetic, it's important to consider potential drawbacks:

• Limited Selection: Compared to the wider variety available in traditional dash cams, OEM options might be scarcer, potentially limiting choices in features and price points.
  • Potentially Higher Cost: The specialized design and potential lower production volume could lead to a higher price tag compared to traditional dash cams.
  • Aftermarket Installation: While some OEM cams might be dealership installable, others might require aftermarket expertise, adding to the cost.
Conclusion:

OEM dash cams present a unique solution for drivers seeking a discreet and integrated dash cam experience. Mangoal Tech dash cam, as a potential leader in this space, is worth considering. However, it's wise to weigh the benefits against potential limitations and explore traditional dash cams for a wider feature and price range before making a final decision.

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    983.6 KB · Views: 22
I'm not sure if this is intended to be an ad, but there's several car manufacturers now who produce "OEM" dashcams that are manufactured by someone else and badged and sold as an option from the manufacturer. There's options I've seen for Audi, Mercedes, Lexus, BMW, etc. Feature/spec-wise, they're typically not very good, not to mention they're also more expensive than your aftermarket options and so I haven't really seen a good reason to go for one. Labor is often more expensive too given the added wiring and integration (moreso than aftermarket options) and that you sometimes get them installed at a dealership.

I totally get the appeal of an OEM option though and hope that companies keep working on this given how useful dashcams are.

There's also some aftermarket options from companies like FitCam who try to blend the dashcams into the car and provide an OEM-like look while still being aftermarket. In fact the Mangoal Tech option you listed looks to be basically the same thing as what FitCam offers. I haven't heard of them before, but it wouldn't surprise me to see dashcams like this popping up under more and more names.

One of the major problems of this type of dash cam is that it does not fit in all cars. For example, the angle of the camera is fixed, so it will only fit in cars that have their windshield at a specific angle. Also, many cars have built in cameras where this dash cam expects to mount, making it impossible to mount this dash cam.

I'm not sure if this is intended to be an ad, but there's several car manufacturers now who produce "OEM" dashcams that are manufactured by someone else and badged and sold as an option from the manufacturer. There's options I've seen for Audi, Mercedes, Lexus, BMW, etc. Feature/spec-wise, they're typically not very good, not to mention they're also more expensive than your aftermarket options and so I haven't really seen a good reason to go for one. Labor is often more expensive too given the added wiring and integration (moreso than aftermarket options) and that you sometimes get them installed at a dealership.

I totally get the appeal of an OEM option though and hope that companies keep working on this given how useful dashcams are.

There's also some aftermarket options from companies like FitCam who try to blend the dashcams into the car and provide an OEM-like look while still being aftermarket. In fact the Mangoal Tech option you listed looks to be basically the same thing as what FitCam offers. I haven't heard of them before, but it wouldn't surprise me to see dashcams like this popping up under more and more names.

Yeah, you're right. We're still researching it to see which one is better. According to my friends' reviews, there are only two brands in OEM dash cams, and they've tried both but said the Mangoal dash cam is much better. But I am still doing research.

Yeah, you're right. We're still researching it to see which one is better. According to my friends' reviews, there are only two brands in OEM dash cams, and they've tried both but said the Mangoal dash cam is much better. But I am still doing research.
I’m confused because I’ve spoken with multiple companies who make dashcams for car manufacturers.

What do you mean, exactly, by OEM? Something that looks factory even though it’s aftermarket? or something that is branded under a car manufacturer’s name and sold through a dealership?

I’m confused because I’ve spoken with multiple companies who make dashcams for car manufacturers.

What do you mean, exactly, by OEM? Something that looks factory even though it’s aftermarket? or something that is branded under a car manufacturer’s name and sold through a dealership?
In my research, I found that an OEM (original equipment manufacturer) dash cam is integrated into the rearview mirror. You simply uninstall the original mirror casing and replace it with the camera-equipped casing. This design doesn’t take up any extra space or require visible wiring, as the OBD adapter is concealed. For more details, you can watch videos on YouTube to gain a clearer understanding of OEM dash cams and their benefits.

In my research, I found that an OEM (original equipment manufacturer) dash cam is integrated into the rearview mirror. You simply uninstall the original mirror casing and replace it with the camera-equipped casing. This design doesn’t take up any extra space or require visible wiring, as the OBD adapter is concealed. For more details, you can watch videos on YouTube to gain a clearer understanding of OEM dash cams and their benefits.
I don’t think we’re talking about the same thing. When I say “OEM,” I mean it’s something being sold by the manufacturer. For example:

The dashcam you’re referring to seems to be yet another no name random aftermarket dashcam that is designed to look like it’s part of the car.

Last edited:
I don’t think we’re talking about the same thing. When I say “OEM,” I mean it’s something being sold by the manufacturer. For example:

The dashcam you’re referring to seems to be yet another no name random aftermarket dashcam that is designed to look like it’s part of the car.

You're right; these are genuine OEM dash cams. However, my point is that they are currently available for only a few models, mainly electric cars produced by the original manufacturers. On the other hand, there's the "OEM look" dash cam, which resembles OEM parts but is made by third-party companies. These dash cams install just like original parts and are often referred to as OEM look or OEM style. For example, vehicles like RAM trucks, Jeep Cherooke, Lincoln, and Ford F-series do not come with OEM dash cameras from the manufacturer, but third-party OEM dash cameras are available for them.

My decade of research on dash cams
Based on my research, Mangoal Tech appears to be a frontrunner in the OEM dash cam market. They might be the only manufacturer currently specializing in this specific style.
Something here isn't passing the sniff test. You say you've been researching this for a decade, and yet with a quick Google search, there's multiple companies you can find who sell OEM style dashcams.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/354604667937
What makes you say that Mangoal Tech is "the only manufacturer currently specializing in this specific style" given that this is clearly not true?

As far as I can tell, you work for Mangoal Tech, perhaps even creating the company, and this is a poor attempt at marketing your company's products. If anything, this is damaging your company's reputation IMO, and first impressions matter...

Something here isn't passing the sniff test. You say you've been researching this for a decade, and yet with a quick Google search, there's multiple companies you can find who sell OEM style dashcams.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/354604667937
What makes you say that Mangoal Tech is "the only manufacturer currently specializing in this specific style" given that this is clearly not true?

As far as I can tell, you work for Mangoal Tech, perhaps even creating the company, and this is a poor attempt at marketing your company's products. If anything, this is damaging your company's reputation IMO, and first impressions matter...
It may be that search engines in different regions show different data. I appreciate your effort in helping me by sharing these types of links. They will help me learn more about OEM dash cameras for my research. The information you shared was outside my current knowledge, so thanks a lot!

OEM Dash Cams: A Researcher's Perspective​

My decade of research on dash cams has led me to explore various form factors, and I must say, OEM-style dash cams offer a compelling option for drivers who prioritize aesthetics and a clean in-car look.

Benefits of OEM Dash Cams:

• Discreet Design: Unlike traditional dash cams that can be bulky and obstruct views, OEM cams integrate seamlessly into existing car features like the rearview mirror. This maintains a factory-installed look and avoids a cluttered windshield.
  • Space-Saving: Their compact design minimizes the footprint within the car. This is particularly beneficial for drivers with smaller vehicles or those who dislike bulky electronics mounted on the dashboard.
Mangoal Tech and the OEM Niche:

Based on my research, Mangoal Tech appears to be a frontrunner in the OEM dash cam market. They might be the only manufacturer currently specializing in this specific style. This positions them well to cater to drivers who value a discreet and integrated dash cam solution.

Further Considerations:

While OEM cams offer a sleek aesthetic, it's important to consider potential drawbacks:

• Limited Selection: Compared to the wider variety available in traditional dash cams, OEM options might be scarcer, potentially limiting choices in features and price points.
  • Potentially Higher Cost: The specialized design and potential lower production volume could lead to a higher price tag compared to traditional dash cams.
  • Aftermarket Installation: While some OEM cams might be dealership installable, others might require aftermarket expertise, adding to the cost.
Conclusion:

OEM dash cams present a unique solution for drivers seeking a discreet and integrated dash cam experience. Mangoal Tech dash cam, as a potential leader in this space, is worth considering. However, it's wise to weigh the benefits against potential limitations and explore traditional dash cams for a wider feature and price range before making a final decision.
Hello @Mikeali
Are you a representative of a manufacturer, or retailer?
If so, you are in violation of Rule #6 of this forum;

Forum Rules .png

I request you read, and understand the rules before making any future posts.
Here is a link to the rules;
So far your posts are bordering on false & misleading information, and spam.
I understand if you’re a new company performing market research which is totally fine.
However, you must first identify yourself to @DashCamMan so he can upgrade your rank.
We will be more than happy to assist you in gathering information / research to produce / release dash cam products to be competitive in the market.

Btw, if your dash cam product’s are not equipped with;
1.) STARVIS 2 Image Sensors
2.) HDR
3.) Properly calibrated firmware so night time HDR actually works
Just forget it, and take your efforts to eBay, AliExpress, Amazon, etc. with all the other counterfeit / knock off junk.
-Chuck

I have a MANGOAL showing up at my doorstep in next few days. We will see how it actually performs. It says 4K but uses an IMX335 image sensor. We also have some footage of fitcamx and Vueroid. Let the games begin

Definitely seems like someone pitching the product or not understanding what even OEM is

I have a MANGOAL showing up at my doorstep in next few days. We will see how it actually performs. It says 4K but uses an IMX335 image sensor. We also have some footage of fitcamx and Vueroid. Let the games begin

Definitely seems like someone pitching the product or not understanding what even OEM is

Yeah, you are absolutely right.

Toyota OEM dashcams are an abomination

Thank you for sharing your experience! Which brand of dash cam have you tried?
What is with your profile photo?
It looks like a guy holding a dead chicken in his left hand while taking the photo with his right hand.

Choking The Chicken .png

Thank you for sharing your experience! Which brand of dash cam have you tried?
I have tried Vantrue, Viofo, Garmin, Rexing, Mini 0806, and 70mai.

It's My Falcon
Is there a higher resolution version of the image?
Still looks like you have your hand around its neck!

Mangoal Tech dash cam, as a potential leader in this space, is worth considering.
Looks like I lose my OEM mirror?
I like my real OEM mirror, don't want to replace it with a fake OEM style mirror...

Back