I don’t know which dash cam to get

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi so I’m getting a new car in a few months and I want a new dash can to go with it. I’m not bothered about price because I’ll probs keep the dash cam 5year or something.

I currently have a mobius first gen (A-lens). I have had a quick look and a lot of current dash cams have a view of 130, whereas my mobius I am sure was around 90. I am apprehensive about buying a wide angle dash cam because I see it as catching the number plate is THE most important thing.

I was in an accident a few years ago where a taxi driver ran a red light, hit my car and on the dash cam you could see the guys face. However police did nothing because there was no number plate.

so I’m after a discrete camera, I’mvery happy with how unnoticeable my mobius is.

No dashcam have the small head on profile of a mobius camera.
Best cameras today use the 1080p IMX 291 sensor or the 1440p IMX 335

It is hard to recommend anything without knowing the layout of your future car, some cars today have really annoying large sensor arrays in the top / middle of the windscreen, right where the optimal place to put a dashcam are.
BUT ! if your new car have a dotted shade area on top of the windscreen you can mount a wedge style camera and only having the bottom with the lens peek out below the dotted area, that make up for a very stealthy install too.
The newer moobius ( M2 - Mobius maxi ) cameras have not lived up to the reputation of the old V1 cameras, so cant really recommend one of those.

The GitUp F1 might interest you. Similar form factor but slightly larger, much newer hardware, very good vids, and comes with either caps or battery. Wider FOV, but that also has it's advantages.

The old Mobius has been used as the base for some telephoto lens swaps (HERE) which grab details like faces and plate numbers extremely well but at the cost of a narrow FOV. Used in conjunction with a wide-angle cam it's about as good as you can get short of carrying a professional photographer with you ;)

Number plate capture is the "Holy Grail" of dashcams and equally unfound. Better to say the plate number aloud and let the audio recording capture it if you want to be sure. With that and car or driver details, the police will have something to work with to find the person and car.

Phil

Back