I was in accident with two G1Ws recording

Tony G

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
G1W
Unfortunately, my dash cams came in handy quicker that I ever expected. Also in the not so good department, I have front and rear cams, but I got broad sided.

A lady crossed a non-mountable median and hit the driver's side of my car. For some reason she was on the gas when she hit me, and stayed on the gas, even after hitting my car.

I am very very happy to have walked away from the accident.

Neither cam shows her vehicle at the exact moment of impact, but it does show me being knocked into another lane. And the rear view cam shows her vehicle coming to rest. The power to the rear view cam was terminated by the crash, so the 30 second delayed shut down really helped.

The driver was indifferent to me, and concerned only with her vehicle. Refused to tell me who her insurance company was, or even if she had insurance or not. Of course, eventually the police arrived.

Turns out, she did have insurance. A lawsuit is in progress, so I don't think it would be wise to post the video or discuss my injuries right now.

My attorney was surprised and pleased to see the video. He said I was the first private vehicle to bring him clear dash cam footage to the initial meeting.

Neither cam shows her vehicle at the exact moment of impact, but it does show me being knocked into another lane. And the rear view cam shows her vehicle coming to rest. The power to the rear view cam was terminated by the crash, so the 30 second delayed shut down really helped.
This is the reason DashCams have batteries not so they don't need to be plugged in.

A lady crossed a non-mountable median and hit the driver's side of my car. For some reason she was on the gas when she hit me, and stayed on the gas, even after hitting my car.
This is the reason to record with audio and only turn it off for camera review or run it through Registrator Viewer after the fact to mute uploaded video conversation.

I'm glad you are okay, that you had a camera before being hit until recently it has been the other way around for a lot of people, and hope that everything goes as best as it can for you.

That sucks man but glad you walked away and are able to tell the story, hopefully the cam footage is still helpful despite not catching her directly in view at the time of impact :)

This is the reason DashCams have batteries not so they don't need to be plugged in.

This is the reason to record with audio and only turn it off for camera review or run it through Registrator Viewer after the fact to mute uploaded video conversation.

I'm glad you are okay, that you had a camera before being hit until recently it has been the other way around for a lot of people, and hope that everything goes as best as it can for you.

Audio was on, and of course it does record the sound of the crash.

That sucks man but glad you walked away and are able to tell the story, hopefully the cam footage is still helpful despite not catching her directly in view at the time of impact :)

Thank you for that. I definitely know the value of walking away from any crash.
My nephew was in a horrible crash three years ago. A truck turned left in front of him. He was reported by the local news as dead at the scene. He actually languished another three weeks in intensive care, before finally giving in to his injuries. He never regained consciousness.

Audio was on, and of course it does record the sound of the crash.
I just meant to point it out to other people. A lot of new buyers get upset that the G1W can't run for hours on battery (Recently someone even wanted to return a good legit G1W because it couldn't) and they always ask why would you leave audio on.

I just meant to point it out to other people. A lot of new buyers get upset that the G1W can't run for hours on battery (Recently someone even wanted to return a good legit G1W because it couldn't) and they always ask why would you leave audio on.

Good advice, for sure. I also saw a complaint somewhere about a possible fake because the IR illuminator wasn't really IR, just a weak LED. Even though most people already know that the fake IR is a "feature" of the genuine cam.

Glad it was not too serious.

If she has insurance, it'd be just an insurance claim.
Why lawsuit?

I'm glad you're ok. This is exactly why I bought a camera. My thought though....i'm thinking of putting a second G1W on the front windshield facing in...that way I would get back, and sides. almost 360 degrees right? Think this is a good idea guys?

If she has insurance, it'd be just an insurance claim.
Why lawsuit?
An insurance claim by an attorney is very effective and might even prevent a lawsuit. In Germany this is a quite usual way of claim settlement. Insurers employ a lot of jurists trying to find a reason for not paying damage restitution.

I run my g1w-c w/o sound.
What is Registrator Viewer?

I'm glad you're ok. This is exactly why I bought a camera. My thought though....i'm thinking of putting a second G1W on the front windshield facing in...that way I would get back, and sides. almost 360 degrees right? Think this is a good idea guys?
One of the problems with the interior view is that it might catch you looking elsewhere just before impact - even though someone pulls out on you (for example), their insurance might argue that, had you been watching the road, you might have avoided...
Or maybe it would show that you actually did see that moron hooning down your offside just before they overtake dangerously - so you knew they were coming but did nothing to avoid them...

It just seems to be the thinking by the legal idiots these days.
Completely ignore all the law breakers & hit the innocent simply because they dared to stand up for themselves.
I'm just thinking about a recent conversation regarding some moron who overtook on solid white lines (no overtaking - illegal), at a speed far greater than the posted limit - illegal, in the wrong lane (that lane controlled by lights, for turning right only - and those lights were on red, so even more illegal!).
The car ahead, although in slow moving traffic, actually sped up to close off the gap so the moron couldn't pull in.
But whilst the moron broke umpteen rules/laws, you can bet your sweet nellie that the legal eagles would concentrate on the final bit of advice in the highway code (it's not a law), when being overtaken, slow down & let them pass.

I run my g1w-c w/o sound.
What is Registrator Viewer?
http://www.registratorviewer.com/index_en.html
Registrator Viewer allows you to

Regular Playback
Auto group segments into one video
Cut long videos into little clips (Look at this guy who ran the red light)
combine short clips together into a long video (look at my 20 min trip through downtown Toronto)
Strip audio from a video after the fact and re save it with the audio being removed
strip GPS data from a video if it is recorded as a separate file.
Speed up, slow down, and zoom into video.

It's kind of like iMovie or Windows Movie Maker built just for DashCam Videos. I would record with audio on and then remove the audio after the fact in Registrator Viewer

I would record with audio on and then remove the audio after the fact in Registrator Viewer
Me too. A dashcam is also a fine dictation machine for recording a spoken license plate number or describing a car driver.

I tried to get Registrator Viewer to work again today....still no luck playing my MOV files from my G1W.

Windows 7 Ultimate. I open Registrator viewer, then click file, open..and hit a video file i put directly on my PC. The program just sits there doing nothing.

Windows 7 Ultimate. I open Registrator viewer, then click file, open..and hit a video file i put directly on my PC. The program just sits there doing nothing.
Hitting open just adds the file to the list on the side of the screen.
Click open, then click on the file in the list on the side, and then click play.

Back