If I use a piggyback fuse is the inline fuse redundent?

Stratus

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Apologies if the answer is very obvious...

I have the BlackVue DR750X-2CH DASH CAM with the “X” Series Hardwire Cable for parking mode.

1. If I hardwire my dashcam using piggyback fuses do the inline glass fuses (which came with the hardwire kit) become redundant?

2. Separately, to use parking mode I need to connect the BATT+ cable to a fuse that remains powered on after the engine turns off. The manual provides the hazard light or interior light as examples . No problem. But then the manual states that to use the battery saver feature to connect the BATT+ cable to the hazard lights fuse.
What does the hazard lights fuse provide which is better than any other permanently powered on fuse? There's a spare fuse slot which is permanently powered which could be used to make a tidy install - INSTALLING THE BLACKVUE DASHCAM – DR750X-2CH

Thanks for your advice.

Sure use the empty one if it is available.. and has power (some don't due to the trim not being included) And yes, you need both fuses in an add a fuse thing. The original one in the slot to keep "that" item working.. and the fuse for your installation.
Polarity is important, your add a fuse is inserted the right way.. if you have power with "only" the new fuse installed. If it takes both fuses to have power to your new device it's installed the wrong way around. Sometimes.. it's the only way it will fit and that's what you need to live with.

Yes the piggy back fuse has 2 slots...one for the original fuse and one for the fuse for the new piece of electrics (the dashcam in this case).
Thanks Ralph2 and Harsh.

With the add a fuse, the polarity you fit it is personal preference based on what you think is the best approach, some on here say one way some say the other. With the low current of a dash cam it usually doesn’t matter.
If you were to fit a higher fused circuit, doing it Ralph2’s way would risk overloading the supplying circuit because you fit the new fuse in parallel. If you fit it the other way around so both fuses are needed to power the new wire, the circuit is still protected by the original fuse rating.

Back