In search of night vision camera for seeing farther

FOTOBOOMER277

Reaction score
Country
United States
So I’m not exactly looking for a “dash am”, I’m looking for what is essentially a corded live feed somewhat high resolution narrow angle (to see farther ahead, 90° maybe) night vision camera, that will transmit straight to a monitor inside the cabin. They have commercial solutions to this, such as the Lanmodo Vast M1, but I feel like I could come up with a cheaper more custom solution with the help of you guys. Any input or ideas is appreciated

Preferred specs would include
40+ fps
Not grainy or blurry when in motion
No IR light needs to be built in, I can use auxiliary ones
Preferably corded and wired straight to the monitor
Doesn’t need to actually record and save footage, just play straight to the monitor
Not super wide angle, as I want to see a decent way down the road to avoid hitting deer, basically to extend my view farther than my headlights reach

Thanks guys!

to avoid deer?

Slow down.
The deer that aren't moving fast you can see, if you look.
The ones moving fast that are likely to run or jump in front of you are usually off to a side, and would be out of the range of something you describe.

to avoid deer?

Slow down.
The deer that aren't moving fast you can see, if you look.
The ones moving fast that are likely to run or jump in front of you are usually off to a side, and would be out of the range of something you describe.
It’s not exclusively for deer of course, that would just be one of its functions. Plus slowing down isn’t always an option, especially when you’re doing 70 on the interstate and are still getting tailgated somehow. It would be good for seeing well beyond the headlights, seeing road obstacles, debris, danger, curves, as well as being super useful in the snow at night. Not to mention just being straight up cool overall

Retired trucker. 4 million miles. If you can't see with normal lights and your eyes, you need to slow down.

When they first came out with radar based 'anti tailgating' devices on big trucks, some of the 'geniuses' were using them to drive at unsafe speeds in poor visibility conditions. Didn't work out well.
:)

I love toys, also, but don't want to bet my life on them.

It is intended as more of a supplement than a 100% reliable foolproof solution. I’ve almost been rear ended countless times because I can’t drive more than probably 55 without overdriving my headlights. I’ve tried new headlights twice, the first time something was wrong with them, and the second time wasn’t much better than the original headlights. I could get aftermarket off-road lights but they’re illegal to use on the road here

Wear your seatbelt, make sure your lights are working, get off the road if it is too dangerous. The only way to avoid getting tailgated is to never get in a vehicle. (and its worse where I live now) :)

Here locally they heavily tint the car windows, then put brighter lights on because they can't see at night. (And neither can the other cars around them)

Last edited:
to avoid hitting deer,
To use it for that purpose, you will need to be continuously watching the relatively low resolution, low dynamic range, narrow field of view, 2 dimensional screen instead of watching the road, and you will have far more accidents if you do!

I’ve almost been rear ended countless times because I can’t drive more than probably 55 without overdriving my headlights.
That implies that you are going to use this in order to drive 30% faster, and that is certain to increase your risks of injury and death.

It would be good for seeing well beyond the headlights,
Headlights that conform to regulations should go penty far enough, if you are finding that they don't then the issue will be with your eyes. I suggest you look into getting better glasses, suited to night driving, first, and if that isn't a solution then you really need to slow down.

You should stop worrying about the tailgating, it is the person behind that needs to worry about that, and they are probably driving perfectly safely anyway. Just because you can't drive safely at 70MPH doesn't mean that the person behind can't, some people have better eyes and brains than other people, we are not all capable of driving Formula One cars at top speed.

Retired trucker. 4 million miles. If you can't see with normal lights and your eyes, you need to slow down....
+1. Not a trucker but closing in on 2MM miles myself, no accidents and never a need for 'supplemental vision assistance'. If you can't see for whatever reason (dark, rain, snow, fog, etc.) SLOW DOWN!

+1. Not a trucker but closing in on 2MM miles myself, no accidents and never a need for 'supplemental vision assistance'. If you can't see for whatever reason (dark, rain, snow, fog, etc.) SLOW DOWN!
I’ve almost been rear ended on the interstate countless times, I also drive a relatively old truck that id hate to see get destroyed. I think I’ll just go with the Lanmodo, my goal isn’t to keep up with traffic or stare at the screen, more so give myself that little extra speed buffer that will give someone behind me time to slow down enough that they won’t hit me if they brake late.

Pathfinder Night Vision
I have had the above in my car for years. There are newer offerings but this one works well.
It is available with or without animal/pedestrian detection, and if you have a led screen in your car with an extra input, you can use that instead of needing a secondary monitor.
This is essentially the same thing BMW used to offer as an option in its higher end cars.

Dan

Pathfinder Night Vision
I have had the above in my car for years. There are newer offerings but this one works well.
It is available with or without animal/pedestrian detection, and if you have a led screen in your car with an extra input, you can use that instead of needing a secondary monitor.
This is essentially the same thing BMW used to offer as an option in its higher end cars.

Dan
I’d love to have something like that, I’ve seen videos on it and it looks incredible, but $2500-$3000 is a little steep for me haha, thanks for the suggestion

Dear FotoBoomer277,
I agree with @dash riposki, @Nigel, @DT MI,

Instead of coming up with a solution, you’re adding a layer of unnecessary complexity that will further take your attention, and eyes off the road ahead.
Since around 2005 new cars with driver aids like, lane departure warning, automatic emergency braking, automatic parallel parking, blindspot waring,
automatic cruise control were implemented with the intention of improving overall road safety. In practice they’ve accomplished in producing lazy, inattentive drivers that rely on a computer to drive the car.

You are in the driver’s seat. You are holding the steering wheel. You are the only thing that’s responsible for the safe operation of your vehicle. If you’re unable to pilot your automobile safely without the use of driver aids like a night vision camera, nothing will. I apologize if that sounds demeaning, disrespectful, or combative but I feel strongly about keeping as much technology OUT of cars as possible. I think the only “computer controlled” safety features we really need are ABS & Dual Air Bags, (maybe stability control / traction control).

I have the same concern as you.
I drive an old 2004 Ford Crown Victoria.
It has the worst designed, and dimmest headlamp assemblies of any car I ever owned over since 1990.
The headlight bulbs are 9007 / HB5 size.
55W Low Beam / 65 High Beam standard halogen bulb.
The color temperature is the 3000K dingy yellow color.

I’ve tested over 40 different brands, and types of headlight bulbs ranging from “High Performance Off Road Halogen 80W / 100W” to LED replacement bulbs.
I have not tested and HID systems.

What I’ve learned is a basic $40 set of LED replacement headlight bulbs is a HUGE improvement in Low Beam lighting. The hard part is finding a type / style of LED Bulb that works in your factory OEM headlamp assembly, and can be adjusted properly without blinding oncoming traffic, and has no spillover. There are literally 1,000 LED headlight bulbs on Amazon. Unfortunately it requires a lot of buy, try, and return to find the correct bulb for your car. Also, keep in mind there are no DOT Approved LED Replacement Bulbs for ON ROAD use. All of them are illegal for use on public roads, and highways. Does everyone do it anyway? Yes.
Do Police & Law Enforcement know the difference between DOT Approved headlamp bulbs, and illegal LED’s? No, (unless there blue, green, red, purple, etc.).

The reason I said a $40 set of LED bulbs are a HUGE improvement to “Low Beam” lighting is because LED headlight bulbs are incapable of illuminating the Low Beam, and High Beam “filament” simultaneously like halogen bulbs. So what that means is when you hit the high beams on a set of LED headlamp bulbs, the Low Beam “filament” turns off, to allow the high beam “filament” to come on. If both Low / High circuits were illuminated simultaneously the LED bulbs would overheat in just a few seconds to a minute.

So “my” solution for “my” application is to add an auxiliary light source that ONLY illuminates when the High Beams are engaged. My home State’s vehicle code laws are very clear when it comes to auxiliary lighting. Basically what matters what is the height that it’s mounted on the vehicle, and how it’s wired into the vehicle electrical system.

Basically anything mounted on the roof, or higher than 42 inches from the ground is defined as “OFF ROAD” lighting, and may never be illuminated on public roads & highways at anytime, and must also be covered when the vehicle is driven on any public road, or highway. That’s why you saw big trucks in the 70’s 80’s & 90’s with those KC light covers on the lights mounted on the roof of pickup trucks. The second vehicle code regulation has to do with how the light is wired for operation.

Auxiliary Lamps;
CVC 24402 Any motor vehicle may be equipped with no more than two auxiliary driving lamps mounted on the front at a minimum height of 16 inches, and a maximum of 42 inches from the ground. Auxiliary driving lamps are designed for supplementing high beam headlamps, and MAY NOT be lighted with low beam headlamps. (1959)

Off-Road Lamps;
CVC 24411 Any motor vehicle may be equipped with no more than 8 lamps for use as HEADLAMPS while being operated or driven OFF THE HIGHWAY.
The lamps shall be mounted at a minimum height of 16 inches from the ground, and a maximum of 12 inches ABOVE the top of the passenger compartment.
Lamps shall be wired independently of all other lighting circuits.
Whenever the vehicle is operated or driven ON A HIGHWAY, lamps shall be covered, and turned off. (1986)

The vehicle code is also clear when high beams may be illuminated;

High Beams;
CVC 24409. During darkness the driver shall use a distribution of light directed high enough to reveal persons, and vehicles at a safe distance in advance of the vehicle, subject to the following limitations;
(a) Whenever the driver approaches an oncoming vehicle within 500 feet, he shall use the lowermost distribution of light so aimed that the glaring rays ARE NOT projected into the eyes of the oncoming driver
(b) Whenever the driver follows another vehicle within 300 feet, he shall use the lowermost distribution of light specified in this article. (1965)

So on my car the “AUXILIARY” light is mounted behind the front grill, and is wired to ONLY function when the high beams are engaged. I wired it up so it operates automatically when I pull back, or push forward the factory multifunction switch / turn signal stalk. I’ll put a link to what this looks like at the bottom. I engage the high beams at 0:43 mark in the video. I disengage the high beams at 1:48 so the motorist can “pass on the right” lol
At 2:28 I re-engage the high beams.

So I spent $40 on a set of LED replacement headlight bulbs, and $60 on an LED Light Bar to improve my forward lighting system, and now I love driving my old 2004 car at tonight.
-Chuck

Dear FotoBoomer277,
I agree with @dash riposki, @Nigel, @DT MI,

Instead of coming up with a solution, you’re adding a layer of unnecessary complexity that will further take your attention, and eyes off the road ahead.
Since around 2005 new cars with driver aids like, lane departure warning, automatic emergency braking, automatic parallel parking, blindspot waring,
automatic cruise control were implemented with the intention of improving overall road safety. In practice they’ve accomplished in producing lazy, inattentive drivers that rely on a computer to drive the car.

You are in the driver’s seat. You are holding the steering wheel. You are the only thing that’s responsible for the safe operation of your vehicle. If you’re unable to pilot your automobile safely without the use of driver aids like a night vision camera, nothing will. I apologize if that sounds demeaning, disrespectful, or combative but I feel strongly about keeping as much technology OUT of cars as possible. I think the only “computer controlled” safety features we really need are ABS & Dual Air Bags, (maybe stability control / traction control).

I have the same concern as you.
I drive an old 2004 Ford Crown Victoria.
It has the worst designed, and dimmest headlamp assemblies of any car I ever owned over since 1990.
The headlight bulbs are 9007 / HB5 size.
55W Low Beam / 65 High Beam standard halogen bulb.
The color temperature is the 3000K dingy yellow color.

I’ve tested over 40 different brands, and types of headlight bulbs ranging from “High Performance Off Road Halogen 80W / 100W” to LED replacement bulbs.
I have not tested and HID systems.

What I’ve learned is a basic $40 set of LED replacement headlight bulbs is a HUGE improvement in Low Beam lighting. The hard part is finding a type / style of LED Bulb that works in your factory OEM headlamp assembly, and can be adjusted properly without blinding oncoming traffic, and has no spillover. There are literally 1,000 LED headlight bulbs on Amazon. Unfortunately it requires a lot of buy, try, and return to find the correct bulb for your car. Also, keep in mind there are no DOT Approved LED Replacement Bulbs for ON ROAD use. All of them are illegal for use on public roads, and highways. Does everyone do it anyway? Yes.
Do Police & Law Enforcement know the difference between DOT Approved headlamp bulbs, and illegal LED’s? No, (unless there blue, green, red, purple, etc.).

The reason I said a $40 set of LED bulbs are a HUGE improvement to “Low Beam” lighting is because LED headlight bulbs are incapable of illuminating the Low Beam, and High Beam “filament” simultaneously like halogen bulbs. So what that means is when you hit the high beams on a set of LED headlamp bulbs, the Low Beam “filament” turns off, to allow the high beam “filament” to come on. If both Low / High circuits were illuminated simultaneously the LED bulbs would overheat in just a few seconds to a minute.

So “my” solution for “my” application is to add an auxiliary light source that ONLY illuminates when the High Beams are engaged. My home State’s vehicle code laws are very clear when it comes to auxiliary lighting. Basically what matters what is the height that it’s mounted on the vehicle, and how it’s wired into the vehicle electrical system.

Basically anything mounted on the roof, or higher than 42 inches from the ground is defined as “OFF ROAD” lighting, and may never be illuminated on public roads & highways at anytime, and must also be covered when the vehicle is driven on any public road, or highway. That’s why you saw big trucks in the 70’s 80’s & 90’s with those KC light covers on the lights mounted on the roof of pickup trucks. The second vehicle code regulation has to do with how the light is wired for operation.

Auxiliary Lamps;
CVC 24402 Any motor vehicle may be equipped with no more than two auxiliary driving lamps mounted on the front at a minimum height of 16 inches, and a maximum of 42 inches from the ground. Auxiliary driving lamps are designed for supplementing high beam headlamps, and MAY NOT be lighted with low beam headlamps. (1959)

Off-Road Lamps;
CVC 24411 Any motor vehicle may be equipped with no more than 8 lamps for use as HEADLAMPS while being operated or driven OFF THE HIGHWAY.
The lamps shall be mounted at a minimum height of 16 inches from the ground, and a maximum of 12 inches ABOVE the top of the passenger compartment.
Lamps shall be wired independently of all other lighting circuits.
Whenever the vehicle is operated or driven ON A HIGHWAY, lamps shall be covered, and turned off. (1986)

The vehicle code is also clear when high beams may be illuminated;

High Beams;
CVC 24409. During darkness the driver shall use a distribution of light directed high enough to reveal persons, and vehicles at a safe distance in advance of the vehicle, subject to the following limitations;
(a) Whenever the driver approaches an oncoming vehicle within 500 feet, he shall use the lowermost distribution of light so aimed that the glaring rays ARE NOT projected into the eyes of the oncoming driver
(b) Whenever the driver follows another vehicle within 300 feet, he shall use the lowermost distribution of light specified in this article. (1965)

So on my car the “AUXILIARY” light is mounted behind the front grill, and is wired to ONLY function when the high beams are engaged. I wired it up so it operates automatically when I pull back, or push forward the factory multifunction switch / turn signal stalk. I’ll put a link to what this looks like at the bottom. I engage the high beams at 0:43 mark in the video. I disengage the high beams at 1:48 so the motorist can “pass on the right” lol
At 2:28 I re-engage the high beams.

So I spent $40 on a set of LED replacement headlight bulbs, and $60 on an LED Light Bar to improve my forward lighting system, and now I love driving my old 2004 car at tonight.
-Chuck
I have two Crown Victorias, and I absolutely 100% agree, their headlights are garbage, and the LED idea may have solve the problem for those two cars. However the vehicle I’m looking for a solution on is a 1981 Ford F-250. I have considered off-road lights for it but I don’t really like the look of them on the bullnose trucks, they don’t fit in very well. I appreciate everyone’s input, and I know slowing down is of course the best option, but it doesn’t really answer my question. I do also want the camera for going off-road at night, whether it be around the farm fields or the dirt backroads. Either way I’m going to try and assemble a night vision camera setup, I would just like to do it as cheaply as possible without going through the trial and error of buying and returning cameras that turn out to be bad. The Lanmodo costs $400 and I’m fairly certain a better setup could be made for much cheaper, but if I can’t figure it out, I’m gonna end up just dropping the $400.

Right on,
I also have a 2010 Mercury Grand Marquis.

Now that I know the year, make, model of your truck, and that it uses “Sealed Beam” style headlamps I have wonderful news.
I understand you don’t want to spoil the factory look of your classic truck with ugly auxiliary, or off road lights mounted somewhere on the vehicle.

My buddy uses these Philips Sealed Beam H4651 H4646 LED replacements on his 1988 Lincoln Town Car.
Not only are they game changers in the world of LED headlamps, they are also DOT Approved, so they are 100% legal for use on public roads & highways;

Here are two examples of the H6054 that fit your 81 F-250;
https://www.amazon.com/gp/B09CQDCH7D-
https://www.amazon.com/gp/B0733C94M4-

Right on,
I also have a 2010 Mercury Grand Marquis.

Now that I know the year, make, model of your truck, and that it uses “Sealed Beam” style headlamps I have wonderful news.
I understand you don’t want to spoil the factory look of your classic truck with ugly auxiliary, or off road lights mounted somewhere on the vehicle.

My buddy uses these Philips Sealed Beam H4651 H4646 LED replacements on his 1988 Lincoln Town Car.
Not only are they game changers in the world of LED headlamps, they are also DOT Approved, so they are 100% legal for use on public roads & highways;

Here are two examples of the H6054 that fit your 81 F-250;
https://www.amazon.com/gp/B09CQDCH7D-
https://www.amazon.com/gp/B0733C94M4-
Much better option than a device that distracts you from watching the road.

55W Low Beam / 65 High Beam standard halogen bulb
That should be enough, on older cars the problem is often the reflectors, remirroring them can make a huge difference since with traditional bulbs most of the light does not head in the correct direction until it has been reflected.

Those Philips LED bulbs might solve that though?

Back